#1 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 15 October 2005 - 04:18 AM

What are some of your best picks for How To Videos on Lighting?

I have Ross Lowells "Matters of Light and Depth" Book and I also have the basic "The Power of Lighting" video.

Ross's book had more information that I was looking for but was still lacking for me. I would love to see a video with numerous light setups tweaked for certain subjects.

#2 Joseph White

Joseph White
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 October 2005 - 05:19 AM

some of the kodak master class series videos are really interesting - especially the black and white one with allen daviau and denis lenoir and the individual production oriented ones with dean semler (lighting dances with wolves) and john seale (lighting dead poets society).

in terms of books, you can't go wrong with John Alton's "painting with light", or "cinematography" new third edition by kris malkiewicz and our own m. david mullen. also check out "new cinematographers" by alex ballinger - it has some fun stuff, including some lighting diagrams from such visionaries as harris savides, darius khondji, and lance acord.

hope this helps!

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:11 AM

some of the kodak master class series videos are really interesting - especially the black and white one with allen daviau and denis lenoir and the individual production oriented ones with dean semler (lighting dances with wolves) and john seale (lighting dead poets society).

in terms of books, you can't go wrong with John Alton's "painting with light", or "cinematography" new third edition by kris malkiewicz and our own m. david mullen. also check out "new cinematographers" by alex ballinger - it has some fun stuff, including some lighting diagrams from such visionaries as harris savides, darius khondji, and lance acord.

hope this helps!

Good picks. I ahve a friend with the Kodak mater series videos he's gonna give me to watch soon :D .

Some other good stuff I have are "The Set Lighting Technician's Handbook" (THE technical book about lighting), "Film Lighting" by Kris Malkiewicz, and "Cinematography: Image Making for Cinematographers, Directors, and Videographers" by Blain brown.

#4 Mario C. Jackson

Mario C. Jackson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:10 PM

These guys have posted some really good books and you should definetly try to get your hands on them. Also the best ways of learning lighting is to constantly do test. Whether film or video. I am currently studying 320T. I am really trying to push this stock from the lighting perspective. You can also watch movies without sound and pause each individual shot to study the lighting.
Hope this helps
Mario C. Jackson

#5 Joseph White

Joseph White
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:35 PM

hope youre not studying kodak vision 320T to shoot it - because its gone the way of the buffalo, sadly - harris savides, asc got some amazing results with it really pushing it to the limit - but yeah its gone, daddy, gone.

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Opal

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks