#1 Marty Hamrick

Marty Hamrick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Oshawa, Ontario

Posted 15 October 2005 - 05:44 PM

Picked up an Elmo 1012 S-XL for next to nothing.It's in immaculate shape except for some minor issues.The viewfinder eyepiece is stuck,can't focus to eyesight.The trigger doesn't function,camera comes up to speed when the master switch is turned on.The camera is one of the quietest super 8 cameras I've seen.The last issue is the fstop display in the viewfinder.The display seems to have dropped down below the window,you can barely see the red on either end but no fstop numbers.

These things seem like easy fixes,but tech bench time might be more than what this camera is worth.

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:37 PM

Picked up an Elmo 1012 S-XL for next to nothing.It's in immaculate shape except for some minor issues.The viewfinder eyepiece is stuck,can't focus to eyesight.The trigger doesn't function,camera comes up to speed when the master switch is turned on.The camera is one of the quietest super 8 cameras I've seen.The last issue is the fstop display in the viewfinder.The display seems to have dropped down below the window,you can barely see the red on either end but no fstop numbers.

These things seem like easy fixes,but tech bench time might be more than what this camera is worth.

My bias is probably known by this point.

I say FORGET what you paid for the camera and go with what you think the camera is "worth".

An Elmo 1012 S-XL is probably one of the top 20 Super-8 cameras ever made. In that regards I would say if it is fully functioning, an Elmo 1012 S-XL is "worth" $500.00, even if you could never sell it for that much, that is what I think it's worth. On EBay, I believe they sell for around $100-250, but no one will ever guarantee the reliability of the camera nor reveak the last time they had the camera serviced.

So if you could get your 1012 S-XL competently repaired for $100-$250.00 dollars I think that would be worth it. However, if you spend that much to get it repaired, and the repair does not go well, then one might not like the ensuing frustration that one would feel.

My other concern is it sounds like perhaps someone who didn't know what they were doing may have already opened up this camera prior to your owning it and added their own "magic", making the repair potentially more difficult.

#3 Seth Mondragon

Seth Mondragon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:29 AM

It's in immaculate shape except for some minor issues.The viewfinder eyepiece is stuck,can't focus to eyesight.The trigger doesn't function,camera comes up to speed when the master switch is turned on......The last issue is the fstop display in the viewfinder.The display seems to have dropped down below the window,you can barely see the red on either end but no fstop numbers.

WOW! That IS immaculate!! :rolleyes:

#4 A.Oliver

A.Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Other
  • Croydon UK

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:34 AM

My opinion is, Use it as a book end and get a known working camera. You can usually pick elmo's up quite cheaply.

#5 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:57 AM

My opinion is, Use it as a book end and get a known working camera. You can usually pick elmo's up quite cheaply.

Time to tell a story.

I was channel surfing one day and I saw someone that I had known from film school. They were on the People's Court! This person was being sued for misrepresenting the condition of a car that they had sold to someone else.

When Judge Wapner asked why the car had been described as new when it wasn't, this person's response was, "it was new to me when I purchased it", therefore this person was now reselling the car as being almost new even though the car was several years old!

This philosophy seems to pervade the way we view eBay.

"Hey, lets trust someone we don't know, won't ever meet, and don't live near to sell us a camera that will be in better shape than the one currently in my possession," even though the seller usually knows nothing of the history, condition, or even where to service the camera.

Why buy any camera at any price if you can't get it serviced? Better to have a tech show what they can do on a semi-difficult camera than one that is actually in Ok shape. The value of most equipment we use is in it's serviceability and repairability, not in how cheaply another camera of the same make and model but unknown condition can be bought for.

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

CineLab

Visual Products