#1 Isobel Conroy

Isobel Conroy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Producer

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:16 PM

Maybe a stupid question, but I'm curious - is it possible/easy to shoot moving time lapse? I know the idea is to have a locked-off camera, but if you imperceptibly pan/zoom the camera by an inch or so every 3 hours (against say shooting 10 frames per hour in the same period of time) would you be able to achieve a smooth camera move?
Thank you!

#2 Delorme Jean-Marie

Delorme Jean-Marie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • paris, france

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:45 PM

it's exactly the work of the great artist Ron Fricke who did "Baraka" .
i think he is using mechanism for astronomy, with small motors used to produce the movment of the earth so if you "lie" to the programation system it will make for you extremly long pan, tilt and so on.
in "baraka" fricke filmed a starfield thrue tree branches with a movment he did it also in "Chronos" filmed in IMAX
have fun

#3 Seth Mondragon

Seth Mondragon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 18 October 2005 - 06:45 PM

HOLY CRAP......I was just logging on to ask the EXACT SAME question.....I asked on the filmshooting.com forum as well, and here is what I was asking:

I love a good timelapse, but what's even better is a timelapse that pans, tilts or tracks. The only thing I can think of to achieve this is moving the camera ever-so-slightly between each frame....my inspiration for these shots is Ron Fricke and his many, many beautiful shots in films such as Baraka and Chronos. I know he rigged an electronic device with a bike chain of sorts to do his stuff, but it there any other way for us regular people?

Wow, great minds must think alike, eh Isobel? :)

I'm going to start another thread titled "Tracking/Dolly/Pan/Tilt Timelapse" okay? See you in there.

#4 oscar jimenez

oscar jimenez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • PANAMA, REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

Posted 22 October 2005 - 06:04 PM

Hi, I have seen lately and just met a guy who does that job but with a Nikon digital still camera, mounted on rails, and a small aluminum dolly that has a motorized gear, with a dimmer, so that it moves cam slowly,you should see that stuff, it is easier than with a film camera, and about 50 or more pounds lighter!!!. the results are incredible.

HOLY CRAP......I was just logging on to ask the EXACT SAME question.....I asked on the filmshooting.com forum as well, and here is what I was asking:

I love a good timelapse, but what's even better is a timelapse that pans, tilts or tracks. The only thing I can think of to achieve this is moving the camera ever-so-slightly between each frame....my inspiration for these shots is Ron Fricke and his many, many beautiful shots in films such as Baraka and Chronos. I know he rigged an electronic device with a bike chain of sorts to do his stuff, but it there any other way for us regular people?

Wow, great minds must think alike, eh Isobel? :)

I'm going to start another thread titled "Tracking/Dolly/Pan/Tilt Timelapse" okay? See you in there.

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Glidecam

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC