#1 James Klatt

James Klatt

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:30 PM

There are many recommended cinematography and lighting books & manuals endorsed by this sight. But I haven't been able to glean any valuable book recommendations with composition as the sole subject.
Any fantastic suggestions that discuss composition that transcends the usual generic formalities?

#2 Delorme Jean-Marie

Delorme Jean-Marie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • paris, france

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:33 AM

There are many recommended cinematography and lighting books & manuals endorsed by this sight. But I haven't been able to glean any valuable book recommendations with composition as the sole subject.
Any fantastic suggestions that discuss composition that transcends the usual generic formalities?

hello
look for painting and drowing books it's more than helpfull for rules of composition thrue ages
then you have the style wich is often a "braking rule" way to compose...

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:10 PM

Check out the still photography section of your bookstore. I've found better information about composition there than in cinematography texts.

#4 Andy Sparaco SOC

Andy Sparaco SOC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 203 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago and most airline lounges

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:16 PM

Any and all of Ralph Gibson's Books -the most cineaste photographer
Starting with "The Somnambulist" ...aren't we all.

His books are composed like films

#5 James Klatt

James Klatt

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:08 PM

Wow, the Somnambulist is pheonomenal. Thanks for sharing Asparaco.
I look through photography & painting/drawing sections all the time...I am looking for specific texts that people find special(like Ralph Gibson).

#6 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 22 October 2005 - 09:06 AM

hi

i just got my bruce block book "the visual story"

i start reading it and its an EXCELENT BOOK

look at amazon for more info

ram

#7 L K Keerthi Basu

L K Keerthi Basu
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • india

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:40 AM

Dear James,

The basic book about the Cinematography Composition is "5 Cs of Cinematography" by Joseph V Mascelli. That was a frantastic book about grammar of Cinematography composition , camera angles,cutting,close-upand continuity.
There is no other way other then practice and creativity. These will be just a guide to improve our knowledge but they dont teach us Creativity.

L.K.Keerthibasu

#8 Fran Kuhn

Fran Kuhn
  • Sustaining Members
  • 352 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:10 PM

Hey James,

I came across a copy of Picture Composition For Film And Television by Peter Ward on my bookshelf. It's published by Focal Press. I believe I picked it up during a class I took with a fantastic gentleman and fine teacher, Isadore Mankofsky ASC. Probably more info in this one that you'll be able to digest, but sometimes too much is better than not enough. Perhaps it's up on Amazon.com. Hope this helps.

Edited by FKP-1, 23 October 2005 - 10:12 PM.

#9 James Klatt

James Klatt

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:59 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am currently reading the "Visual Story", which was recommended. There are some parts, thus far, which have been insightful. I will continue to look into your suggestions. :)

(I also agree that creativity is a byproduct of experience and experiment, but sometimes a good book can be like a good teacher for thus of us that are self-taught...plus I love to read!)

#10 Mark Allen

Mark Allen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:54 AM

Depending on how basic you are going - there are lots of photography books that will teach things like "the rule of thirds." There is a book called "directing: shot by shot" which you might browse to see if it speaks to you as far as organizing a visual story. There's also a couple pages in the book "How to Draw the Marvel Way" (and I literally mean just a few pages) that compare their style with DC's and I think in the sense of making things feel "Hollywood" those few pages have a lot of value. Browse those at the library and see what you think.

Just trying to suggest some things not mentioned so far.

#11 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:35 AM

Look at paintings, comic books can be very very good and photographs. The Mascelli book is quite good.

#12 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:46 AM

I like to look at photography books as well, especially the work of war photographers. People like Don McCullin and Larry Burrows did some amazing work. I recently got Burrows' book 'Vietnam' and his use of color and composition is stunnning.

#13 Ben Schwartz

Ben Schwartz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • New York, NY

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:04 PM

Photographic Composition by Tom Grill is a good one -- it's intended for still photographers, but the rules are equally applicable to cinematography.

#14 Mike Hough

Mike Hough

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:20 PM

"Setting Up Your Shots: Great Camera Moves Every Filmmaker Should Know" by Jeremy Vineyard, is a great book about framing/composition and camera movement. It gives examples of popular movie scenes where you can see each type of framing/movement used. It's also illustrated by a professional storyboard artist, so it's a very visual book!

It's available on Amazon.com

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

CineLab

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

The Slider