outdoor lighting and power sources

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigal

bigal
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2005 - 04:49 PM

I have a scene that I want to shoot at night on the side of a back road. The only problem is that i can't think of a way to light it(as in powering up the lights). I'm using two portable light kits that connect to a dimmer pack and board(all edison plugs). If anyone know knows some techniques to light the area without big generators and lots of noise it would be very helpful. Thanks

#2 Dominik Muench

Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:59 PM

what lights doy ou have ? how big is the area ?

for night street scenes, an old but good techniques is (as long as it fits in the story logically) is always a wet down. make the street wet, looks nice and gives you reflections.
cant you put the generators somewhere in a side alley and jsut run long cables ?
careful though...if theyre normal building generators and you use hmis they will certainly flicker.

#3 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:06 PM

I guess you're shooting video ?

You can always use a + 3 or + 6 dB, depending on the camera you've got, without it to be noticable...

(You can as well lower the black level in the same time, if you don't want noise in the shadows, actually)

#4 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:08 PM

In a low budget situation (i.e. student) you can try to find a location that has as much ambient light as possible (street lights, stores signs, whatever). If you can find a nearby business you may be able to negotiate to borrow a little power from their building. If that fails, you can rent a putt-putt generator and try to place it around the corner of a building or on the other side of a truck to minimize noise for sound recording.

Battery powered lights are possible for quick scenes, but you don't get much time from these. I've got one of those 2-million candle power rechargeable spotlights that's good for bouncing into some foamcore for a side or edgelight.

Sometimes you just have to modify your scene to work with what you have, when you don't have much to work with. Can the scene be shot MOS, so that you can have a putt-putt generator? Can the scene be shot with minimal movement so that you can undercrank, giving you more exposure? Get creative.

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab