#1 Matthew Thompson

Matthew Thompson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 22 October 2005 - 03:18 AM

After christmas I'm going to buy my first Film camera, I ve shot on DV for years but due to request I need a 16mm camera. I 've seen to good offers in the UK, a Bolex EL and an Arriflex BL. Can anyone give their opinion of which is better and why? I do know the bolex is easily converted to S16 in comparison to the Arri BL, but the build quality and the handling of the Arri looks a lot longer lasting. please send all the infomation you know, Matt[b]undefined

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 October 2005 - 06:10 AM

After christmas I'm going to buy my first Film camera, I ve shot on DV for years but due to request I need a 16mm camera. I 've seen to good offers in the UK, a Bolex EL and an Arriflex BL. Can anyone give their opinion of which is better and why? I do know the bolex is easily converted to S16 in comparison to the Arri BL, but the build quality and the handling of the Arri looks a lot longer lasting. please send all the infomation you know, Matt[b]undefined

It depends on what you want to use it for. The 16BL is a blimped camera for shooting sound (31db - it's a old 1970s camera), while the Bolex is an MOS camera and is quite noisy. Having said that, if you buy a 16BL check how noisy it runs, I've heard some cameras that needed work in the repair shop.

Shooting super 16 is an issue, everything in the UK is 16:9 and very little standard 16 is being shot. The Bolex is good for shots that don't require sync sound, it's useful for single frame and varible frame rates. The 16BL is a much bigger, heaver camera... it could be a culture shock if you're used to DV cameras. You also need a blimp for the lenses on the 16BL, which restricts you to older zooms that already have a blimp fitted, or the blimp for prime lenes (it takes Mk1 Distagons).

Longer term a Bolex will be more useful, if you want sync sound there are other 16mm cameras that can be modified to Super 16 and you can buy for a good price.

#3 Steven Budden

Steven Budden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Other
  • San Francisco

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:02 PM

It depends on what you want to use it for. The 16BL is a blimped camera for shooting sound (31db - it's a old 1970s camera), while the Bolex is an MOS camera and is quite noisy. Having said that, if you buy a 16BL check how noisy it runs, I've heard some cameras that needed work in the repair shop.

Shooting super 16 is an issue, everything in the UK is 16:9 and very little standard 16 is being shot. The Bolex is good for shots that don't require sync sound, it's useful for single frame and varible frame rates. The 16BL is a much bigger, heaver camera... it could be a culture shock if you're used to DV cameras. You also need a blimp for the lenses on the 16BL, which restricts you to older zooms that already have a blimp fitted, or the blimp for prime lenes (it takes Mk1 Distagons).

Longer term a Bolex will be more useful, if you want sync sound there are other 16mm cameras that can be modified to Super 16 and you can buy for a good price.

For more versatility in a bolex I'd do a wind up one with a sync motor. So when you need mos shots you can take it anywhere and wind it without the large cumbersome battery packs.

Steven

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Wooden Camera