#1 Alain LeTourneau

Alain LeTourneau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, Oregon USA

Posted 23 October 2005 - 07:16 AM

Anyone see this new (black and white) film yet?

I'm going to see it tomorrow night, looks quite interesting. Being sold as in the "spirit of the French New Wave", the old New Wave that is.

Check it out...

http://www.cinemagui...m/atoutdesuite/

Alain LeTourneau

#2 Alain LeTourneau

Alain LeTourneau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, Oregon USA

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:12 AM

Ok, so I went to the film last night. Projected well at the historic, now non-profit Hollywood Theater here in Portland, Oregon.

Beautiful black and white. Kodak or ORWO? No information in the end credits provided, although I could contact the lab to find out, no?

Re: A Tout de Suite...

Interesting sense of space depicted in the film. Most of the film is comprised of close-ups, but the first half is mostly tight interiors, closed-in, or in the herione's case middle class and stuffy. While the second half of the the film, the adventure, is open, liberating. My only gripe is that some of the shots seemed too abrupt for my (slow) taste. The pacing of the film was slow, though many of the shots could have been held longer.

J. Hoberman excerpt:

"Less a tale of desperado lovers than a cruel story of youth, Tout de Suite is framed largely in close-up, with few transitional shots and a narrative that grows increasingly fragmented. (The filmmaker occasionally interpolates newsreel clips or interjects his protagonist's voice-over to temper the tale's immediacy.)

Jacquot's most recent movies?including Sade, which featured the then teenage Le Besco as a Marquis-smitten ingenue?have been flossy period pieces. Tout de Suite harks back to the suave and somewhat creepy psychologically fraught trio?The Disenchanted, A Single Girl, Seventh Heaven?that he made during the '90s. Like those, it has its fairy-tale aspect; in this case, it's the story of a sleeping beauty roused."

Alain LeTourneau

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

CineTape

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Visual Products

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc