#1 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 23 October 2005 - 09:12 AM

How does fuju 16mm compare to kodak 16mm? More specifically, Exr 50d, versus Fuji's 64?
Best,
BR

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:47 AM

Well, EXR 50D is sort of unique amoung Kodak stocks, so it is not indicative. It is much snappier, sharper, saturated, finer-grained, and contrastier than Fuji F-64D. In 16mm, this is even more obvious. F-64D has a more natural contrast and saturation, and is softer.

In general, the Kodak stocks have more edge-sharpness than the Fuji stocks. Also, even though the new Kodak Vision-2 line is lower in contrast and saturation than the previous Vision generation, the new Fuji Eterna line-up that is coming out now is even lower in contrast and saturation (and therefore perceived sharpness) than the Kodak Vision-2 line.

I like Fuji in 35mm, but in 16mm, I tend to stick to Kodak because of the greater sharpness.

But if you're just talking about EXR 50D versus F-64D, EXR 50D is unique among all the color negative stocks for its look, even compared to other Kodak stocks.

#3 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 23 October 2005 - 11:44 AM

Thank you very much for your help. Perhaps I can explain why I was comparing 50D to 64. I am doing some filming this weekend at a cross country meet, and I wanted to use the slowest film possible. I've shot 50D before and positively loved it. However, my processor (Cinelab out of MA), is offering a package deal where I can get 400ft of Fuji stock, process and best-light telecine, for $180.00. Hence, I was curious if there was a great enough difference between 50D and 64 (which I've never used) to warrant my avoiding this deal and sticking with Kodak.
Best,
BR

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 23 October 2005 - 12:22 PM

However, my processor (Cinelab out of MA), is offering a package deal where I can get 400ft of Fuji stock, process and best-light telecine, for $180.00. Hence, I was curious if there was a great enough difference between 50D and 64 (which I've never used) to warrant my avoiding this deal and sticking with Kodak.
Best,
BR

Hi,

Sounds like a good reason for f64D!

Stephen

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 October 2005 - 01:10 PM

F-64D looks nice on its own; it just suffers in comparison to Kodak EXR 50D, like most stocks do. Probably the new 5201 Vision-2 50D looks closer to F-64D in terms of contrast. If you're going to be shooting faces in harsh light, you may prefer F-64D over EXR 50D, but if you are shooting wide landscape shots or in softer daylight, you'll probably prefer the snap & sharpness of EXR 50D.

#6 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 23 October 2005 - 01:49 PM

F-64D looks nice on its own; it just suffers in comparison to Kodak EXR 50D, like most stocks do. Probably the new 5201 Vision-2 50D looks closer to F-64D in terms of contrast. If you're going to be shooting faces in harsh light, you may prefer F-64D over EXR 50D, but if you are shooting wide landscape shots or in softer daylight, you'll probably prefer the snap & sharpness of EXR 50D.

Hi,

I first started using F64D about 6 years ago because Kodak in Switzerland had no EXR 50D in stock! It was the first time I ever shot with Fuji, and was very happy with the results.

Stephen

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Glidecam

The Slider

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport