7 replies to this topic

#1 Jayson Crothers

Jayson Crothers
  • Sustaining Members
  • 351 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:47 PM

I have no idea how David finds the time to shoot AND keep up with all the postings......

Below is a link to a trailer for a very low budget feature I photographed about 8 weeks ago. I was contractually not allowed to post anything about the production online (which was upsetting because I kept a production journal, as I always do, and was hoping to post some of it along with frame grabs). However, this trailer just posted online, so I assume it's safe to add a link here.

I'm still waiting for clearance from the Producers to post my journals and some stills, but until then, enjoy......

It's photographed on HD, 2:35, with Canon cine-style zooms - a romantic comedy, it's quickly apparent how much the director loves WIDE angle lenses on everything (he was also fond of yelling out at me "Jayson, I see a shadow! Make it go away!"). He and I work well together, but his perfect view of the world is fish eye lenses and bright flat lighting - this film was a mid-point for both of us I think.

http://www.famefilm....pietrailer.html

I'm currently wrapping up another feature (which I'm again not allowed to post anything about yet - does anyone else have those contract issues?), so when I get back to LA I'll be able to catch up on the 30 + pages I haven't read here (limited internet access out here) and hopefully be able to post some more stuff.

#2 Charlie Seper

Charlie Seper
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:13 PM

I have no idea how David finds the time to shoot AND keep up with all the postings......

I think his wife is imaginary myself. Either that or he keeps her tied and gagged in a closet.

Most comedies seem to have plenty of lighting. I think it works well in the clip I saw. I liked it quite a bit actually which is unusual since I can't stand either of the staring actors from MAD TV. And I liked the fact that they didn't do a close-up cut when MacDonald slams into whatever it is he's hitting and lands on the floor. I don't know anything about the director but I thought it was pretty hip. Looks real nice too.

Edited by Charlie Seper, 24 October 2005 - 09:14 PM.

#3 Jeremy

Jeremy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:24 PM

I think the lighting works very well for comedy. What camera did you shoot on?

I think "Garden State" has been incredibly influentual when it comes to the marketing of small indie comedies. While this film is probably very different from "Garden State," the trailer was very reminsicent of the "Garden State" trailers, heavy on music and quirky moments.

Best of luck on the next one!

#4 LondonFilmMan

LondonFilmMan
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 12:00 PM

It looks *nice* enough and is shot well enough but I can't quite fathom what it is all about and what it means. It does not make me *feel* anything except a little sad. I thought that you need to juice it up a lot to grab attention. Good luck.

#5 David Silverstein

David Silverstein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Student
  • New York City

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:21 PM

Looks good. I would love to see it thats all I know. My mother was behind me when I was watching it and she goes is that a movie? I would like to see it.

So I think you have a good audience. Shot nicely, lighting was excellent, and the story seems comical yet romantic.

#6 Raymond O'Neil

Raymond O'Neil
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:13 PM

Hi, it looked good overall. Lighting was good, but the clip lacked the usual texture that one gets from film. Probably, one should expect this from HD... but which HD camera was it shot on? Was it 24P? It was quite video like and cold.

#7 Jayson Crothers

Jayson Crothers
  • Sustaining Members
  • 351 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:27 PM

It was shot on an F900, 24p. The trailer came from the editors AVID (so it went from HD, downconverted to DVCAM, then heavily compressed during digitizing). Apparently it was a case of the company wanting to see a trailer part way through the shoot, so something was cut in a few hours with the footage they had on hand. I suspect another trailer will be coming up, but right not they're furiously working away on the film itself.

#8 LondonFilmMan

LondonFilmMan
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2005 - 11:05 AM

BUT juice it UP....

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly