24p in HDV with the HV100

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike-In-MT

Mike-In-MT
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:15 PM

Now that the HD100 supports 24p, is that going to allow us to edit footage in a normal NLE system (say in Final Cut, because thats all I can afford)? I tend to get a bit disoriented with all the pulldown talk. If it will allow editing without all the MPEG-2 mess, will this camera be worth the investment? Any thoughts?

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:44 PM

Sounds like the major companies are working on it. look for patches from Avid, FCP and premeire at least (I would assume, I have no solid info if they are, I figure JVC has enough invested to lean on these people)

If your still confused about pulldown I can clear it up for you. when you go from 24 to 30 fps, you make 6 new frames each time. so every 5th frame is a combination of two real frames. they are combined using feilds (feilds display one after another, its almost like frames, you can think of them as frames, though there are differences) if you shoot 24p you dont have to worry about it until you get to your color correction/finnishing phase. if your in aftereffects or other high quality program you can set the pulldown to take it from 24p to 29.97fps so it is displayable on an NTSC monitor.

hope that cleared something up and didnt make you even more confused.

#3 Mike-In-MT

Mike-In-MT
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2005 - 04:09 PM

I understood the "fields" concept but how they go from 29.97 to 24 is what always got me. Thanks for the info. If I only had $5,000... I also priced out the the new PowerMac G5 Quad, mine came out to roughly $24,000. Guess having a new car will have to wait for a while....

#4 Matt Jeppsen

Matt Jeppsen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:52 PM

Now that the HD100 supports 24p, is that going to allow us to edit footage in a normal NLE system (say in Final Cut, because thats all I can afford)? I tend to get a bit disoriented with all the pulldown talk. If it will allow editing without all the MPEG-2 mess, will this camera be worth the investment? Any thoughts?

Lumiere HD just announced a beta solution that enables you to edit in FCP. It's a kludge, but it works. See this HD For Indies post for more details.

In contrast, Vegas 6 and CineForm AspectHD already fully support 24p HDV material, just like any other media.

#5 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:07 PM

Avid Xpress Pro should have it by first quarter '06. thats what I read anyway. (read it today on digitalvideoediting.com

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Opal

CineLab

Metropolis Post

CineTape