#1 elvworks

elvworks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:21 PM

Thank you for your time.

I am going to shoot my first feature. I want to know how possible and practical my plans are. Your input is really appreciated.

I want to shoot it with the new Sony HDV, but I want the aspect ratio to be at 2.35:1 but I don't want to just cover the top and bottom of the screen. I don't want to waste that resolution, I want to use that to have an even better picture.

The movie will be filmed in Arizona, so I really want to capture the beautiful scenery along with the story. Film would be nice but I don't think it will be possible ($$$) and digital might be better (easier) for a first feature.

Questions:
Is this the best camera(s) to use for this?
Can I use an anamorphic lens to give me true 2.35?
I know anamorphic lenses are expensive, would I really gain that much quality by using them?
What can I do give it a more movie-film type feel?
Digital can't touch film when it comes to colors, would I be able to enhance it in post production?
My understanding of film for a two hour feature runs about 10 grand when all is said and done (including developing), is this accurate?

Thank you for reading this and helping me. Any input is greatly appreciated.

elvworks

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:53 PM

Thank you for your time.

I am going to shoot my first feature. I want to know how possible and practical my plans are. Your input is really appreciated.

I want to shoot it with the new Sony HDV, but I want the aspect ratio to be at 2.35:1 but I don't want to just cover the top and bottom of the screen. I don't want to waste that resolution, I want to use that to have an even better picture.

The movie will be filmed in Arizona, so I really want to capture the beautiful scenery along with the story. Film would be nice but I don't think it will be possible ($$$) and digital might be better (easier) for a first feature.

Questions:
Is this the best camera(s) to use for this?
Can I use an anamorphic lens to give me true 2.35?
I know anamorphic lenses are expensive, would I really gain that much quality by using them?
What can I do give it a more movie-film type feel?
Digital can't touch film when it comes to colors, would I be able to enhance it in post production?
My understanding of film for a two hour feature runs about 10 grand when all is said and done (including developing), is this accurate?
Thank you for reading this and helping me. Any input is greatly appreciated.

elvworks

perfect camera to use for a first feature. awsome resolution and great lattitude with the CMOS sensor (ZU1 model) check out in production area (beekeepers, day 1 and 2) if you want to see screen captures from the feature I am shooting now with that camera. Its a comedy so 16x9 is fine for us.

I am remembering back to the old DV days before they had native 16x9 chips. there used to be a lot of 'anamorphic' adaptors that would mount to the front of the lense via the thread ring, and would bassicly squeeze a 16x9 immage onto the 4:3 chips. I havent tested this, and you should talk to someone who has one of these adaptors, or the company itself to be sure, but I think if you put this on a camera that already has native 16x9 chips onboard, it might squeeze the image into something close to the aspect ratio you are looking for without sacrificing resolution.

your next option is to mate a mini35 adaptor to the new JVC HD-100U. (I would recomed that camera with the mini35 because you can mount it without sending light through a cheap fixed lense. what sense does it make to mount a 10k lens to an 8k mini35 only to put it through the $200 16x lens.) the mini 35 will give you the depth of feild of film cameras, and allow you to use much higher quality lenses, like anamorphics.

Digital colors are.....different. The main problem is after you reach the peak of exposure lattitude, that will always be full white. the best way to shoot for a feature is to use something like DVrack from serious magic. it gives you a vectroscope so you can see where in your picture your highlights have blown out. then adjust your light control techniqes to make sure they only barely cross the IRE 90 threshold. you can then color correct without it looking weird. Desaturate, adjust levels to get the blacks blacks, the whites just a hair below true white and ajust the color to your liking.

http://www.centuryop...9/16x9_37mm.htm

not sure if this will work, but worth a try.

Edited by Michael Collier, 24 October 2005 - 08:54 PM.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:28 AM

I doubt that these DV anamorphic adaptors (1.33X squeeze) will be good enough for an HD camera, but who knows.

You don't have much choice but to crop to achieve 2.35.

If you were using a pro HD camera, you could either use the Canon rear extension tube with the 1.33X squeeze, or you could shoot with the Viper, which has a 2.35 function that does not involve cropping (the 16x9 HD recording will be full-frame with a 1.33X squeeze.)

Panavision is building 1.34X anamorphic lenses for their 16x9 Genesis camera.

#4 elvworks

elvworks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:07 AM

Thank you Michael Collier and David Mullen for your insight into the the matter.

I'll do my best to get the anamorphic lenses (to match the camera I will use), if not, I'll have to do the crop. 2.35:1 is vital for this movie. I just hate losing 40% of the frame resolution. Film rules.

Thank you,

elvworks

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Willys Widgets