Miklos

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 October 2005 - 02:30 AM

Hello all,

I'm a new member and recently I've encountered a problem: I've shot a S8 shortfilm with 18 frames/sec. Now it seems that I'll get funding to transfer it to 35mm. My main headache is that my original 18f/s is real time (We had a projector that worked with this speed), so I don't want to project (and transfer) it with 24f/s.
1 second of my S8 should be 1 sec. on 35mm film. (My short film has a special feeling with that flickering, projected-like image - I edited a DV version, recorded directly from a screen, so I'd like to keep that. My first idea was the primitive let's record the projected S8 directly with a 35mm camera, but this cannot work because of the different speeds - for I would record some "half frames", covered by the sector)
Someone offered me an S8-beta transfer, but I'm afraid I'll loose latitude (and some resolution). I'm located in New York, but recently I'm in Europe (Budapest) and the film is here with me, so if you have any suggestions, please keep in mind that I could do the transfer in these 2 locations. Thanks.
Miklos

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:35 PM

Optically bumping to 35mm is not a "primitive" method at all. It's an excellent method because the film being recorded to is significantly bigger than the film you started out with so you should be able to achieve maxium quality with viturally no quality loss.

Every fourth frame will be doubled up to make the conversion work. In the United States, films shot at 24 frames end up on 30 frames of video and frankly, the effect in my opinion is quite nice. Going from 18-24 should work also.

What "might" be a problem is if you decide to transfer the 35mm blow up to video, since one out of approximately every four Super-8 frames were double when going to the 35mm print, transfering the 35mm optical to video would cause redoubling again and that might look annoying.

However, you would still have your original Super-8 film for video transfering purposes.

#3 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:18 PM

Every fourth frame will be doubled up to make the conversion work.

Actually, every third frame (of the original). The printing sequence would be 1,2,3,3,4,5,6,6,7,8,9,9 etc.

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:46 PM

Actually, every third frame (of the original). The printing sequence would be 1,2,3,3,4,5,6,6,7,8,9,9 etc.

Same difference, no? The second number three frame is doubled by the preceding number three frame.

#5 Matt Wells

Matt Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 29 October 2005 - 01:45 AM

Mabey the best route for you would be a digital intermediate?

If you are able to get to London, Soho Images would be one of the places to approach.

Matt

#6 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 29 October 2005 - 01:52 AM

let me say it more clearly.

Every fourth frame of the copy will be a double.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Abel Cine