Miklos

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 October 2005 - 02:33 AM

Hello all,

I'm a new member and recently I've encountered a problem: I've shot a S8 shortfilm with 18 frames/sec. Now it seems that I'll get funding to transfer it to 35mm. My main headache is that my original 18f/s is real time (We had a projector that worked with this speed), so I don't want to project (and transfer) it with 24f/s.
1 second of my S8 should be 1 sec. on 35mm film. (My short film has a special feeling with that flickering, projected-like image - I edited a DV version, recorded directly from a screen, so I'd like to keep that. My first idea was the primitive let's record the projected S8 directly with a 35mm camera, but this cannot work because of the different speeds - for I would record some "half frames", covered by the sector)
Someone offered me an S8-beta transfer, but I'm afraid I'll loose latitude (and some resolution). I'm located in New York, but recently I'm in Europe (Budapest) and the film is here with me, so if you have any suggestions, please keep in mind that I could do the transfer in these 2 locations. Thanks.
Miklos

#2 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:54 AM

You do an expantion of frames, every 3 frames, you duplicate the 3rd frame on the 4th. Expands 18 frames to 24 frames.

#3 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:18 PM

If you go to a lab and ask for a s8 to 35mm optical blow-up, they will know how to adjust the speed (it's indeed as downix says, every third frame is printed twice, and it results in a very slightly stuttery look (a momentary freeze frame six times a second!), but you get 24 frames of 35mm film for one second of action, which is what you want (and which will allow sound to run correctly too).

If you go via telecine then recors the tape back out to film you might not lose as much resolution as you fear, but you will lose a little tonal range. However, the telecine transfer is ultimately going to have to cope with the same problem of inserting frames to make 24 out of 18.

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Opal

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies