#1 Matt Sandstrom

Matt Sandstrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Director
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:53 AM

has anyone ever used a silk stocking in front of the lens on an fx1? normally i would of course place it behind the lens, but since i can't maybe it would work ok in front too? what i want to know is at what apertures and focal lengths the net is invisible. on some cameras, especially those with small front elements and even smaller ccd's you have to zoom in quite a bit before the net structure disappears.

i won't have access to the camera until the day before we shoot so i can't test it. i've however tested the technique on another camera and it gives me the look i want...

thanks,

/matt

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:45 PM

has anyone ever used a silk stocking in front of the lens on an fx1? normally i would of course place it behind the lens, but since i can't maybe it would work ok in front too? what i want to know is at what apertures and focal lengths the net is invisible. on some cameras, especially those with small front elements and even smaller ccd's you have to zoom in quite a bit before the net structure disappears.

i won't have access to the camera until the day before we shoot so i can't test it. i've however tested the technique on another camera and it gives me the look i want...

thanks,

/matt

I would guess that at all but the most open couple aperture settings and focused closer than, perhaps, 20 feet the net would be partially in focus or evident.

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Glidecam

Ritter Battery