#1 Lorena Wallace

Lorena Wallace

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 25 October 2005 - 02:11 PM

Ok, well, thanks to those who responded, especially Phil Rodes. Brad and I are working on research papers at the moment (his is about why television and movie media is more effective than other types and mine is about the psychology of those who commit hate crimes.) My mother randomly bought me a camera. It's a Panasonic and it's very...small. Which is cool, I guess. Maybe we are just procrastinating, as I know how to make a video. I have documented protests in Florida and historical stuff. However, what is the best way to start? I know I keep saying the same thing, but basically, it just feels weird to pick up a camera and start shooting with no real direction. Are there any tips that filmmakers could give us to getting footage that will give us a basis for what we want to do? Maybe I am just posting these to prove to our teacher that we are accomplishing things, but we seriously don't know what to do. All apologies. Are there any favorite books or movies that will give us ideas? We looked at the list on the forum, but are there any personal favorites that you guys have? Okeydokey...we're gonna go now. Yup. Byebye :ph34r: Pirates beat ninjas...

#2 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:22 PM

What kind of Panasonic is it? What tape format? If you like shooting run and gun stuff (documentary), maybe you should stick with that and practice your handheld work. Books are good but you should get out there and get your hands dirty too! Talk to tons of people and make it a point to learn something new about filmmaking every day. There is nothing weird about picking up a camera and "just shooting". If you want to start making narrative films, maybe you should start with a short scene, not necessarily a whole story. If you want to practice lighting, a good exercise (I stole this from a professor at my school!) is to find a painting with a lighting style that you like and mimic that. Take lots of still photos too; it will really help your composition skills. There is no wrong way to break into this stuff, unless you sit around and don't do it because you're too afraid! Good luck. And yes, pirates definitely beat ninjas.

#3 Trevor Swaim

Trevor Swaim
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:35 AM

if you want to get motivated pick up "rebel without a crew" by robert rodreguiez. another great book that helps get me really into writing is david mamet's "on directing film"

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks