small format magazine needs another 200 subscriptions to survive

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 filmfreund

filmfreund
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:39 AM

Yesterday I talked to the publishers. We need another 200 subscriptions to survive. So, if you are interested in the future of a magazine like this and have not subscribed yet, please be so kind and send us an eMail with your full address. Subscription is US-$ 79 or ? 69 for six issues (one year). Please be so kind to inform your friends and other Super 8 and 16mm enthusiasts about small format.

In 5 weeks the publishers will make the decision to go on or not.

Jürgen Lossau
editor of small format
eMail: redaktion@schmalfilm.biz

#2 filmfreund

filmfreund
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:40 AM

Yesterday I talked to the publishers. We need another 200 subscriptions to survive. So, if you are interested in the future of a magazine like this and have not subscribed yet, please be so kind and send us an eMail with your full address. Subscription is US-$ 79 or ? 69 for six issues (one year). Please be so kind to inform your friends and other Super 8 and 16mm enthusiasts about small format.

In 5 weeks the publishers will make the decision to go on or not.

Jürgen Lossau
editor of small format
eMail: redaktion@schmalfilm.biz

#3 andres victorero

andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:42 AM

I bought the first issue and was great. i´m going to suscribe now. Good luck

#4 filmfreund

filmfreund
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for a lot of subscriptions. We only need another 168 now. www.smallformat.de Juergen Lossau

#5 Matt Wells

Matt Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:54 PM

For anyone who is wondering, this is an excellent magazine. I had the first English issue and was really impressed with the nice broad spread of articles - it had a quality feel to it too, it is not some cheaply produced mag, but a really professional publication.

I highly recommend!

Matt

#6 filmfreund

filmfreund
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2005 - 03:51 AM

Only 158 missing...

#7 filmfreund

filmfreund
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2005 - 03:52 AM

Thanks, Matt. Only 158 are still missing... www.smallformat.de

Edited by filmfreund, 29 October 2005 - 03:53 AM.

#8 andres victorero

andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 29 October 2005 - 01:54 PM

good luck, it serves you right ;)

#9 andres victorero

andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:03 AM

about my above post I want to clarify this, because I have received a private message and it told me that these post was an offense:

sorry, my english is very bad and i only want to said that I hope that the smallformat survive. I´m a suscriber too. I bought the first issue and I want that this magazine was successful.

regards

#10 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:48 AM

Juergen, maybe you can offer this website a press release in Small Format Magazine and a subscription in exchange for one of those ad banners on right side of this forum for the next month or two.

Is it Ok to ask in public how much Cinematography.com charges to advertise with one of those ad banners per month?

#11 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:39 AM

I have received a private message and it told me that these post was an offense

Andres,

Your English is fine. Personally, I managed to figure out what you were saying in a few seconds, given the smilie at the end. You just happened to use an English expression that is always used in a negative way and never in a positive way. When I'm in France, I manage to do something similar at least once a week, much to the amusement of my French friends.

If your first language was English, you would have said something like "good luck, you deserve it". From a literal point of view, "good luck, it serves you right" is very close to the same thing, but a native English speaker just wouldn't express himself that way, except to be critical. This is one of those "errors" that makes native English speakers think about how their own language works. Personally, I enjoyed your originality.

#12 andres victorero

andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:45 AM

Andres,

Your English is fine. Personally, I managed to figure out what you were saying, given the smilie at the end. You just happened to use an English expression that is always used in a negative way and never in a positive way. When I'm in France, I manage to do something similar at least once a week, much to the amusement of my French friends. This is one of those "errors", because it is based on a literal and slightly imperfect use of language, that makes native English speakers think about how their own language works. I kind of enjoyed how you expressed yourself.

thanks for the clarification, I have to learn much more of the shapeskere´s language.

regards

#13 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:57 AM

Andres,

It looks like I was editing my post at the same time you were making your response. If you look at the changes I made, you'll see how an English speaker would normally express what you meant.

Cheers

#14 filmfreund

filmfreund
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2005 - 02:30 AM

#15 filmfreund

filmfreund
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:58 AM

only 146 still missing - thanks to all subscribers so far.

#16 Ryan Ball

Ryan Ball
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angels

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:07 PM

Yikes!
$80 for six issues? That's a bit steep, don't you think? Most hardcover books don't cost $13 apiece. I really want to support this endeavor, but my frugal side is holding me back. Is there a way I can see a sample before I commit?

Thanks.

#17 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:38 PM

Yikes!
$80 for six issues? That's a bit steep, don't you think? Most hardcover books don't cost $13 apiece. I really want to support this endeavor, but my frugal side is holding me back. Is there a way I can see a sample before I commit?

Thanks.

If you are in LA please come to the Flicker Attack film festival. Copies will be available to look at.

#18 Alan Rik

Alan Rik
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 November 2005 - 01:08 AM

I feel that we are in a niche group so...I will do what I can to keep this format alive. If Super 8 dies..with no film available..I will have some very expensive paperweights!
Yes...$13 is not cheap..but if this takes off I am sure other magazines will get cheaper and who knows? But if we dont support this hobby now, well there may not be another magazine dedicated to Super 8. Its truly incredible that a magazine on Super 8 still exists today. Since the last cameras/projectors were last made almost 22 years ago..crazy!
Im subscribed!

#19 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 03 November 2005 - 01:49 AM

I feel that we are in a niche group so...I will do what I can to keep this format alive. If Super 8 dies..with no film available..I will have some very expensive paperweights!
Yes...$13 is not cheap..but if this takes off I am sure other magazines will get cheaper and who knows? But if we dont support this hobby now, well there may not be another magazine dedicated to Super 8. Its truly incredible that a magazine on Super 8 still exists today. Since the last cameras/projectors were last made almost 22 years ago..crazy!
Im subscribed!

Awesome!

There's a jewel of an article on home theatre design. The photos are out of this world and any DP with the bucks to design such a theatre in their home would be wise to subscribe and scoop up the first issue as well.

#20 John Adolfi

John Adolfi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Producer
  • Fulton, N.Y.

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:58 AM

Love to subscribe but I will not! This is the last time I'm publically annoncing that I sent $20 to you months ago and have never received my magazine. I've e-mailed you privately 3 times also. Bad customer service.
Real bad. There is however a quick solution. E-mail me and get my address and send me my copy.
jadolfi@twcny.rr.com

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products