Photo

a one-chip Super 8 equivalent in the works?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Steven C. Boone

Steven C. Boone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Director

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:35 PM

I know that HD can supplant 35mm and that 24p dv can stand in for 16mm, but are there any plans to make a cheap (likely single-chip) mini-dv camera w/a 24P mode? It would be great to have something under a thousand dollars that captures a film look. I'm thinking that such a camera would be analgous to Super 8mm film. A Kodachrome look.

Is such a thing in the works? Am I way off base?

#2 Justine Haupt

Justine Haupt

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Student
  • Long Island, NY

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:55 PM

I know that HD can supplant 35mm and that 24p dv can stand in for 16mm, but are there any plans to make a cheap (likely single-chip) mini-dv camera w/a 24P mode? It would be great to have something under a thousand dollars that captures a film look. I'm thinking that such a camera would be analgous to Super 8mm film. A Kodachrome look.

Is such a thing in the works? Am I way off base?

I think some might argue that even a $4000 camera isn't as good as really good super 8... I would disagree on that (I can usually get a pretty good 16mm look with my dv camera).

The problem with drawing relations like video quality vs film format is that dv doesn't even start to look like film until you get into the high-end 3-chip cameras... anything of less quality will fall back into the spectrum of the video look, not the look of lower quality film, because only the very high quality dv seems to be able to synthesize film.

It's easy to think of a ccd as just a digital piece of emulsion, but in fact its a lot more complex than that, and getting any kind of film look will probably involve a 3-chip camera. Simply, the look of super 8 film is different from dv on such a fundamental level that I think the only way to get them to look similar would be to start with very high quality dv and doing what you can in post. The lower end DV cams just look like lower end dv -- if a lower end camera existed or is on its way that looks like super 8, everyone would probably have one.

The thing about super 8 specifically is that it has so much character, and as a result, it's probably easier to approach the look of 16 or even 35mm with a dv camera than it is to make it look like super 8 (which wasn't your pont, I know, you wanted to know if a cheaper cam might exist that might look like S8mm, not if it was possible to synthesie), but I think what I said conveys the fundamental problem with trying to do that.

Edited by Justin Haupt, 27 October 2005 - 12:02 AM.

Opal

Visual Products

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera