correcting tungsten to daylight and reversal question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:17 PM

1. I shot a roll of 500T outside and couldn't get an 85 filter on. Can the lab correct this and do we need a timed print to do so?

2. I shot a roll of 100D reversal and it's going to be two stops over exposed because it got metered at 500 ISO. Am I doomed?

#2 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:35 PM

1. Yes you need a timed print of course, otherwise it's going to look blue. But correcting it shouldn't be a problem. The point is the shadow will keep a bluish cast unless you go for digital timing.

2. I'm afraid you are underexposed if you metered with a 500 ISO rating, not overexposed... and it's 2 stops and a third, no less. I'm afraid also that you should be very dark, therefore.... The only way is to make a timed dupe... if you really need that reversal positive to be projected... It costs. What was it for ?

#3 Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2005 - 12:12 PM

1. Yes you need a timed print of course, otherwise it's going to look blue. But correcting it shouldn't be a problem. The point is the shadow will keep a bluish cast unless you go for digital timing.

2. I'm afraid you are underexposed if you metered with a 500 ISO rating, not overexposed... and it's 2 stops and a third, no less. I'm afraid also that you should be very dark, therefore.... The only way is to make a timed dupe... if you really need that reversal positive to be projected... It costs. What was it for ?

The reversal is going to be transfered to dvcam along with the 500t. The reversal is part of a dream sequence and while it is supposed to look different from the rest of the film I'm worried it won't be usable. I told the lab to push 2 stops, they haven't processed it yet so do I need to tell them to push it another 1/3rd?
The project is a five minute junior film and this reversal sequence is fairly critical.

Edited by Andrew Evans, 01 November 2005 - 12:14 PM.

#4 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:10 PM

If you are sure there is nothing you need by the end of a roll (unusefull takes for instance), you can make a test with the last 5 meters, ask your lab.

Anyway, since it's a dream sequence, you are not looking for a normal look, are you ?

Reversal stands underexposition much better than negative can stand overexposition, and it's usually very fine grain, so you're not going to be so unhappy with it I think. As to ad a third of a stop, again, you should ask your lab if they can do that, usually, push processing is usually aviable by steps of plain stops only...

If a test is not possible, I would just push 2 stops and try to time it at the TK, so that you find an interesting effect from that when transfering to DVCAM. If the guy doesn't want you to be there, just ask him to do the best he can about these shots when going to DVCAM...

Let us know, don't worry so much, I'm sure it's not going to be messed up, if you're looking for an unusual look, anyway!

#5 Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:36 PM

If you are sure there is nothing you need by the end of a roll (unusefull takes for instance), you can make a test with the last 5 meters, ask your lab.

Anyway, since it's a dream sequence, you are not looking for a normal look, are you ?

Reversal stands underexposition much better than negative can stand overexposition, and it's usually very fine grain, so you're not going to be so unhappy with it I think. As to ad a third of a stop, again, you should ask your lab if they can do that, usually, push processing is usually aviable by steps of plain stops only...

If a test is not possible, I would just push 2 stops and try to time it at the TK, so that you find an interesting effect from that when transfering to DVCAM. If the guy doesn't want you to be there, just ask him to do the best he can about these shots when going to DVCAM...

Let us know, don't worry so much, I'm sure it's not going to be messed up, if you're looking for an unusual look, anyway!

Thanks. I'm going to call the lab and ask them to test the last couple of feet. I will be supervising the transfer which I've never done before. Do you have any suggestions about the TK? Especially with the reversal stock.

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Opal

Technodolly

Abel Cine

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Willys Widgets