#1 Gareth Munden

Gareth Munden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:05 PM

Hi , I'm about to shoot a super-8 short about 4 1/2 mins long . Can anyone give me an idea of how much film I should use ? ( Telecine V expensive in the UK ) .

#2 A.Oliver

A.Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Other
  • Croydon UK

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:06 PM

Have you tried BBC resources for your T/K, rank mkIII onto mini dv, beta sp, digi beta etc around £185.00 per hour plus VAT, i beleive you can book just 15 mins if required, hire of digi beta machine in with the price. Have used them a few times, highly recommended. If you shoot k40 or 64t, you can edit the film at home then take just your 4.5 min production for t/k, that will save a lot of costs.

Edited by k25rip, 26 October 2005 - 05:09 PM.

#3 santo

santo
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:19 PM

Hi , I'm about to shoot a super-8 short about 4 1/2 mins long . Can anyone give me an idea of how much film I should use ? ( Telecine V expensive in the UK ) .

I don't know. Have you storyboarded it? Do you know exactly what shots you want to use in each scene? Are there scenes with a couple of actors talking with one another? Are you going to try and do synch sound on location? Yes to the first two reduces the film you'll need, yes to the last two increases the film you might need.

I just finished a short which was 30 carts. Page count or "minutes on film" was 15. It was shot at 25 fps, so roughly 5 to 1 maybe. It was carefully planned, storyboarded with shots mostly certain, but some improv. Only one scene of two actors talking together. Sound was all recorded during the shoot, but will be dubbed in post.

5 to 1 is cutting it really tight and you have to get lucky if you're shooting outdoors where some of this was. City streets can give you "one take miracles" or destroy your carefully drawn plans.

Edited by santo, 26 October 2005 - 10:20 PM.

CineTape

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Paralinx LLC