12 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:59 AM

What would be a good kit that would be portable, relatively inexpensive, and able to cover a high % of lighting situation needs? I'll have to exclude HMIs since they cost a lot(i can always rent I suppose).
This doesn't have to be just lights.. scrims, bounce cards, gels can be mentioned as well. Can't forget china balls either. Thanks

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 October 2005 - 11:10 AM

What would be a good kit that would be portable, relatively inexpensive, and able to cover a high % of lighting situation needs? I'll have to exclude HMIs since they cost a lot(i can always rent I suppose).
This doesn't have to be just lights.. scrims, bounce cards, gels can be mentioned as well. Can't forget china balls either. Thanks

I think you're going to have to be a little more specific to get useful answers. What sort of conditions do you light frequently? Are we talking film or video? Large areas or small?

#3 Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 October 2005 - 11:34 AM

I think you're going to have to be a little more specific to get useful answers. What sort of conditions do you light frequently? Are we talking film or video? Large areas or small?

Hello CHristopher,
Lots of interior in a house/apartment; also lots of ambient light from incandescent(sp?) lamps and whatnot. Will be shot on film with an angenieux HR lens. Want to do some night time exteriors but I'm somewhat wary of that because many low budget night time scenes look horrible that I've seen..

#4 Sol Train Saihati

Sol Train Saihati
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Gaffer
  • London

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:36 PM

What's your estimated budget mate? Thats a pretty large factor in the equation unfortuanately.

#5 Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:48 PM

What's your estimated budget mate? Thats a pretty large factor in the equation unfortuanately.

Very little!

#6 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:36 PM

You are being incredibly obtuse here, to the point that it is impossible for us to help you. Do you wish to buy or rent? What is your price range (in actual amounts) and what is your time frame? And just how much crew will you have to work the gear? You could start with a couple of Lowell light kits or a 5-ton truck. It's really what scale you are talking about.

#7 Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:04 AM

You are being incredibly obtuse here, to the point that it is impossible for us to help you. Do you wish to buy or rent? What is your price range (in actual amounts) and what is your time frame? And just how much crew will you have to work the gear? You could start with a couple of Lowell light kits or a 5-ton truck. It's really what scale you are talking about.

Sorry sorry
I would say that I can spend 1000 on lighting equipment, and probably not much more than that for the next few months anyway. Renting is dicey because I live in a rural area for a good 100 miles every direction. Crew will probably be 1 person! I dont mean that just only one person will work on all of the lighting; it's a DIY type of project so we're all going to chip in and do multiple jobs, but I'll have one person maintaining lights. I don't plan to shoot until around February. As for scale, you can see that it will be very small scale as far as budget is concerned.

Much of the film will be inside an old house with high ceilings. A couple rooms of the house are very light as in light colored enamel walls with little on the walls like posters or paintings or whatever. Haven't figured out what I want to furniture-wise... These are large rooms by the way, upwards of 20x15 feet..

Would like to do EXT night time stuff, but that could be formidable. Scenes in mind would be in a back yard, inside a screened in porch, and so forth. ALso want to do downtown scenes on the sidewalk in front of stores, etc.

I've used lowell light kits before and liked the results, but I do like the focusing of fresnels. Would there be any reason to pick open face over a fresnel even? I'm not really interested in a soft light, primarily for the size issue, but maybe I should be. lights like HMIs and so forth are not an option unless I rent or can find a pro-bono Carolina contact. Can't forget an ellipsoidal..
Well hope that helps!

#8 Sol Train Saihati

Sol Train Saihati
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Gaffer
  • London

Posted 01 November 2005 - 04:11 PM

1000 US!? That's not bad if you rent! If I'm right in roughly translating dollars to pounds 1:1, then you can get a thoroughly decent pacakge. This depends on the length of the shoot tho. Knowing nothing whatsover about the look you're going for(!), I would go for something like this:

1 x Dedo 150 kit (4 x 150 w heads) w/ soft box
1 x Dedo 400D (HMI) w/ soft box

2 x Arri 300 - Tungsten
2 x Arri 650 - Tungsten
2 x Arri 1k - Tungsten

1 x Kino Flo 4ft 4 bank w/ tungsten + daylight tubes

2 x Paper Chinese Lanterns with 350w bulbs and fixtures (Checked by qualified Spark)

Basic Flag + Silk Kit

Stands for all lights + a few extra C-Stands + Arms

You could probably get away with a small assortment of gels and diffusion for free if you ask nice too. :blink:

Polestyrene Board (To Bounce with) - Size as is ergonomic

That little lot would probably bring you in on, or under budget and allow enough for a few practical fixtures as well. It should cover all your basic needs and you can plug most of these lights into standard house sockets - (not all of course at once!) It's money well spent and will translate accordingly well onto film (S16?). The 400D's are small HMI's with quite a bit of punch so they'll cover daylight situations well for a small wattage lamp.

I'm not sure you would want to try lighting large exteriors with that budget (Eg city streets), as it will certainly involve hiring a generator unless you're close to an available power outlet. This will push your budget way up, not to mention the need to hire larger lights. The best thing would be to get out there with a lightmeter and do some extensive scouting. With modern day stocks you can sometimes shoot night exteriors with natural light, a la Lost in Translation.

Try and deal with a lighting house who will give you a demo of a few of the fixtures so you can pick and mix a bit. They should also offer 1st class service and free advice by the bucketload. If at any point they are inhospitable go somewhere else: it seems you are not too far from a major city centre, they should have half a dozen rental houses. I'm sure some one will pipe in with some Carolina contacts! :D

Obviously we could toss this around the board till February, any questions - post em up! Glad to help.

Did I miss anything out guys?

#9 Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:34 AM

1000 US!? That's not bad if you rent! If I'm right in roughly translating dollars to pounds 1:1, then you can get a thoroughly decent pacakge. This depends on the length of the shoot tho. Knowing nothing whatsover about the look you're going for(!), I would go for something like this:

1 x Dedo 150 kit (4 x 150 w heads) w/ soft box
1 x Dedo 400D (HMI) w/ soft box

2 x Arri 300 - Tungsten
2 x Arri 650 - Tungsten
2 x Arri 1k - Tungsten

1 x Kino Flo 4ft 4 bank w/ tungsten + daylight tubes

2 x Paper Chinese Lanterns with 350w bulbs and fixtures (Checked by qualified Spark)

Basic Flag + Silk Kit

Stands for all lights + a few extra C-Stands + Arms

You could probably get away with a small assortment of gels and diffusion for free if you ask nice too. :blink:

Polestyrene Board (To Bounce with) - Size as is ergonomic

That little lot would probably bring you in on, or under budget and allow enough for a few practical fixtures as well. It should cover all your basic needs and you can plug most of these lights into standard house sockets - (not all of course at once!) It's money well spent and will translate accordingly well onto film (S16?). The 400D's are small HMI's with quite a bit of punch so they'll cover daylight situations well for a small wattage lamp.

I'm not sure you would want to try lighting large exteriors with that budget (Eg city streets), as it will certainly involve hiring a generator unless you're close to an available power outlet. This will push your budget way up, not to mention the need to hire larger lights. The best thing would be to get out there with a lightmeter and do some extensive scouting. With modern day stocks you can sometimes shoot night exteriors with natural light, a la Lost in Translation.

Try and deal with a lighting house who will give you a demo of a few of the fixtures so you can pick and mix a bit. They should also offer 1st class service and free advice by the bucketload. If at any point they are inhospitable go somewhere else: it seems you are not too far from a major city centre, they should have half a dozen rental houses. I'm sure some one will pipe in with some Carolina contacts! :D

Obviously we could toss this around the board till February, any questions - post em up! Glad to help.

Did I miss anything out guys?

DJD
thanks for the reply! That kit you mentioned sounds nice but I'm a bit off of the beaten path in north carolina.. Nearest cities are all 100 miles from here so I'm sortof at a disadvantage as far as readily available rentals are concerned.
What do you think of Par-64s? Most light for the money they are

#10 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:50 AM

DJD
thanks for the reply! That kit you mentioned sounds nice but I'm a bit off of the beaten path in north carolina.. Nearest cities are all 100 miles from here so I'm sortof at a disadvantage as far as readily available rentals are concerned.
What do you think of Par-64s? Most light for the money they are

Hi,

The best value light I have ever bought is a Dedo light! As the bulbs last about a year the light is free after 2 years of use. I bought 2 of the new aspheric 2 with 24v in line dimmer yesterday.

If I had to work with only 2 lights I would choose a 10K and a Dedolight. With some mirrors, reflectors, flags, etc. & practicals I think I could survive!

Stephen

#11 Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:04 AM

Hi,

The best value light I have ever bought is a Dedo light! As the bulbs last about a year the light is free after 2 years of use. I bought 2 of the new aspheric 2 with 24v in line dimmer yesterday.

If I had to work with only 2 lights I would choose a 10K and a Dedolight. With some mirrors, reflectors, flags, etc. & practicals I think I could survive!

Stephen

They look awesome, but if they are the same dedolights that I see on froogle then they cost thousands of dollars!
http://froogle.googl...dolight&show=dd

#12 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:08 PM

They look awesome, but if they are the same dedolights that I see on froogle then they cost thousands of dollars!
http://froogle.googl...dolight&show=dd

Hi,

If you buy the full kits it gets expensive, The light head , Barn Door and Single power supply probably lists around $600. I asked for ex demo and paid about $450 per unit.

Stephen

#13 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:27 PM

Hi,

Just had a look at B+H website.
They list DLH4 lamp the latest model $399.99
Dimta 100w 12 power supply $159.99
I cant see the barn doors listed.

I bought the new 24v 150w power supply, the output is about 2 stops brighter!

The thing about lights is once you start you will never stop buying them!

Stephen

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc