#1 Miguel Bunster

Miguel Bunster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:45 PM

Hi,
I am shooting at a location with a lot of fluorecents wchi I will change but I dont have much prep time. I want to check if the units flicker..to see if the ballast are ok. Now what a good way to check this if I cant shoot a film test. THere is alot of units so i want to find out which ones have problems. I will be shotting 24 fps and still tryiing to see what camera I will use. So far a Movicam compact.
My location scout is tomorrow so I was planing maybe taking a video camera and try to match de exposure time of the film camera.
Any recommendations please?

My other questions is about CS4 vs Ultra Primes. Do they handle flare the same way?
Thanks!

Miguel

#2 Charles Haine

Charles Haine
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Colorist
  • New York

Posted 03 November 2005 - 01:34 AM

There's already a fairly recent thread about floro flicker you might want to read in the lighting section.

I've gaffed a few shows where the DP didn't worry about, or even bother to test for, floro flicker, and though I still worry about it and test it myself when I DP, apparently its not nearly the problem at 24fps that people seem to think it is. I shot my test of my last floro location with a governor motor IIC (so not even 24fps crystal), and there was no flicker, either in test or at the shoot.

Why are you changing out the bulbs? I've worked on shows when we did that, added hours to the start and end of the day (we didn't have a pre-rig team), and ended up costing the production a ton of cash when several of the ballasts in the units where broken and the owner's personal electrician was brought in.

Buy a few rolls of 1/2 and full plus green, rent a color temperature meter, and match your floor flights to the green spike of the floros, and time all the green out, is what I'd do. Or, rent Kino's and get them bulbed with Cool Whites, which have a green spike.

Only problem here is big banks of windows, but you can green them as well, which also works to cut down on light volumn a little bit so you'll get more windows outside.

Just my thoughts,

chuck haine

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

The Slider

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

CineTape