What lenses are you using?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Grosso

Chris Grosso
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:34 PM

We are VERY close to purchasing a SDX-900. I am just curious what lenses some of the users have. We are a production company that shoots commercials, corporate video, training videos etc.

#2 Chris Grosso

Chris Grosso
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:36 AM

We are VERY close to purchasing a SDX-900. I am just curious what lenses some of the users have. We are a production company that shoots commercials, corporate video, training videos etc.

21 views to this thread and no reply??? hmmmm interesting......

#3 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:41 AM

21 views to this thread and no reply??? hmmmm interesting......

I have used this one:

http://opd.usa.canon...45B_intro.shtml

It's pretty sharp but breathes somewhat. Nice contrast. Would I buy one? Doubtful. It's about $18-20K and the HD version is probably an extra $10K. The comparable Fuji I've used once with that camera and no complaints.

Are you renting out your gear? If not, I guess I'd be renting specific lenses for specific projects. May buy a used SD wide angle zoom to keep around for catch-all work but I guess I wouldn't BUY a new HD zoom. I definitely would not buy a new $18K SD-only lens.

#4 Chris Grosso

Chris Grosso
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:47 PM

I have used this one:

http://opd.usa.canon...45B_intro.shtml

It's pretty sharp but breathes somewhat. Nice contrast. Would I buy one? Doubtful. It's about $18-20K and the HD version is probably an extra $10K. The comparable Fuji I've used once with that camera and no complaints.

Are you renting out your gear? If not, I guess I'd be renting specific lenses for specific projects. May buy a used SD wide angle zoom to keep around for catch-all work but I guess I wouldn't BUY a new HD zoom. I definitely would not buy a new $18K SD-only lens.

Thanks for your reply! We do not rent out our gear, I was planning on spending up to $10,000 on a SD lens, our vendor sent a list of 24 lenses ranging in price from $4500 all the way up to $24,000. I was hoping to get a few responses here to whittle down my choices a bit.

#5 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for your reply! We do not rent out our gear, I was planning on spending up to $10,000 on a SD lens, our vendor sent a list of 24 lenses ranging in price from $4500 all the way up to $24,000. I was hoping to get a few responses here to whittle down my choices a bit.

For $10K you might find a used Canon or Fuji Super-wide SD lens like the one I talked about. Another option would be to buy a P&S Technik adapter and a set of good Nikon still lenses, the older manual AI and AIS lenses (ED for longer lengths). You could get a whole set with the adapter for $10K I would guess. Then you could rent a nice zoom when needed.

#6 David Ross

David Ross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 November 2005 - 01:58 PM

We have used the Canon broadcast series with the build in cross over on the Two SDX's that we have bought . Very Happy, Paid in the 12K range.

#7 Ken Zukin

Ken Zukin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:47 AM

I bought the SD Fujinon w/a zoom - I think it's a 11 X 4.5 - something like that.
It works well for 4 X 3 work, as you will "lose" some w/a, (as the camera is native 16 X 9).
If you do some research, you can pick up this lens at a good discount. I think I paid around $18K. SD lenses, particularly w/a, are easier to come by than HD. If I had wanted the Fujinon w/a HD zoom, I would have had a 2 - 3 month wait for it.
I would advice you not to "cheap-out" when buying a lens. Even if you can't afford HD glass, at least get the top-end SD offerings out there. I wouldn't go below "broadcast" level.
For me personally, I bought a standard zoom (18 X 7.8 or something like that) from a cameraman off of E-Bay - I paid about $6,500 for that one & luckily it was pristine, as advertised.
In my experience, you'll need two zoom lenses: w/a & standard - there's no way around it, unfortuantely.

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

The Slider