Lav Bodnaruk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Director
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:06 AM

Hi guys,

a bit of a confusing question for me, hence why i have to turn to the forum. I recently bought a L4 PRO LCD monitor, from USA. My understanding of this monitor was that it is auto readable between the two formats, hence why it was okay to get it... here are the specs: http://www.filmwarep...cam/109964.html

The monitor is 2nd hand but had barely any use in it. The seller gurantees it worked before sending it... and it still does to a degree... i mean, i am getting shaky picture... There is no colour, and its shaky...

I cannot feed any NTSC video signal to it to try out what it would do under those circumstances, but when i feed PAL video signal to it i get that dancing picture. It moves Up and Down. Its more of a constant Up and Down then a dance actualy, oh, and the top 1/4 of the screen is unusable too... with more intense jumping. On the very top of the screen you can see whats meant to be the bottom of the image....

all this makes me thing i should just fix the V-HOLD and perhaps something else, but there is not such nob/button on the monitor... acutally there is one that i think is meant to be V-Hold but it doesnt do anything when twisted.

Does anyone here have any suggestions? Have you perhaps ever played a PAL signal on an NTSC monitor, so that at least i can conifrm that to be the issue within what i described the sympthoms as...

Hmm... taking it to the tech was gonna cost me $125/hr and its something i am not even sure will fix the problem. Its meant to be my Video Tap Monitor for my 16mm Camera... :huh:

Any feedback will be highly regarded.
thank you

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:52 AM

Hi,

That sounds exactly like an NTSC device trying to display a PAL picture. Are you sure there isn't some menu option or option switch somewhere?

Although if it's an LCD I would usually expect it to auto-detect, just as a matter of what they usually do.

Phil

#3 Jim Murdoch

Jim Murdoch
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2005 - 05:20 AM

What I've found is that most LCD monitors sold in Europe and other PAL countries will also display NTSC, but in general, the ones sold in the US are NTSC only! The only explanation I can see for this is that because the US market is so much larger, the small saving in manufacturing cost becomes worthwhile.

Anyway, just about all DVD players sold these days (even the very cheapest ones) can be set to deliver either PAL or NTSC video from bothe PAL and NTSC encoded DVDs. So if the monitor works OK with the output set to "NTSC", you'll have your answer!

#4 Jim Murdoch

Jim Murdoch
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2005 - 05:34 AM

--Continued--
But now I've managed to visit the manufacturer's website, yes, it should be PAL/NTSC auto sensing. I suspect there's a setup menu in there somewhere that allows you to set it to either PAL, NTSC, or "AUTO" and someone's probably set it to "NTSC". Look for a "setup" or "menu" button.

#5 Lav Bodnaruk

Lav Bodnaruk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Director
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 05 November 2005 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for your replies guys!

I feel silly having bought this monitor from the USA, but I too read the manufacturers web site link
http://www.filmwarep...cam/109964.html or
http://www.bhphotovi...list&sku=141721

both of which state the monitor is AUTO read between formats. More and more I feel this isnt the case, but rather that it is only NTSC. I will definitely attempt the DVD thing now, I didnt think of that.... i went through all the cameras in my house, all other monitors - attempting to find NTSC signal... didnt think DVD <_< Thanks for that tip!

Regarding the menu or set-up button there isnt anything like that on there. At the top of the monitor i got little twisting nobs for the following: RED, BLUE, BRIGHT, COLOUR-TINT (Doesnt do anythign) and the last one is NO NAME; I figure the last one was meant to be V-HOLD but its not named and it doesn't do anything when twisted....

On the side of the monitor i got switch between A and B inputs, ON/OFF button, Power DC12V input and the Two BNC inputs; There are no other buttons of any kind around the monitor; Perhaps the NO NAME button is meant to be activated by opening the unit up?

Im off to test the monitor with the NTSC DVD signal, Ill post a reply the moment i get a picture on it :D

PS> I did take a still picture to post on this forum, of the Monitor with PAL input jumping picture but my web host server is currently down and i have no where to upload it... if you wish to see it, i can e-mail it to you? Let me know, as I already appreciate all your help on this heaps! My e-mail is: bodnaruk@bigpond.net.au Thanks!

#6 Lav Bodnaruk

Lav Bodnaruk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Director
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:54 PM

Continued...

I did exactly as suggested by Jim, made NTSC DVD by authoring a new project from Adobe Premier through Nero in NTSC format (although Nero complained and wanted to burn in PAL)... and played it on one of my DVDs connected through the monitor. First there was nothing, due to one of the batteries failing to power it up properly, but as soon as i had the 2nd battery hooked up, my little NTSC monitor was playing pretty pictures. Moment i swapped it to watch normal TV through the DVD/VCR combo, the PAL signal shook the picture again....

I guess this concludes the dilemma on weather it is NTSC or PAL, for it worked perfectly as NTSC. Now I am just wondering if it is AUTO switchable and if I should have someone look at it to see if it is possible to make it PAL, since all these sellers claim to say it is auto read? Or should I just attempt to sell it or swap it for PAL monitor and save some running around?

But now I've managed to visit the manufacturer's website, yes, it should be PAL/NTSC auto sensing. I suspect there's a setup menu in there somewhere that allows you to set it to either PAL, NTSC, or "AUTO" and someone's probably set it to "NTSC". Look for a "setup" or "menu" button.

Do you think there is a chance this set-up feature is inside the monitor and that a tech of some kind could find it and change it? In your experience have you found any LCDs that have this change of format within their box?

Thanks!!!

#7 Jim Murdoch

Jim Murdoch
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:27 AM

Do you think there is a chance this set-up feature is inside the monitor and that a tech of some kind could find it and change it? In your experience have you found any LCDs that have this change of format within their box?

Thanks!!!

A lot of "professional cinematography" stuff like this is based on domestic equipment, but put into a fancy metal box. So it's entirely possible the setup switch has been "buried" by the box they put it in.

Anyway, I've sent an e-mail to Glidecam, who are the actual manufacturers, so we'll see what they say.

On their website they also say it's PAL/NTSC auto switching, but further down the page they talk about "NTSC" and "PAL" versions, so it's possible there are three different models.

#8 Jim Murdoch

Jim Murdoch
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:33 PM

Bad news; here's an e-mail I got back from Glidecam:

Hi Jim,

It sounds like an older model that was either available as PAL or NTSC.
The newer models that are both PAL/NTSC have two video in and two video
out on the side for a total of four BNC units.

Best regards,
David

#9 Lav Bodnaruk

Lav Bodnaruk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Director
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:05 AM

hi Jim

thanks soo much for finding that out for me! I've searched all the sites that sell this monitor and asked numerous "sellers" none of which knew this information you just passed on... of course i didnt contact Glidecam in USA but rather here in Australia where i didnt get much help but rather an offer for servicing of the monitor for $125/hr...

Again, thank you so much for chasing that up and passing it on! I appreciate it! I guess now i just need to try and sell it to an NTSC market user :blink:

Thank You.

PS. I've just managed to post the picture of it, which I was trying to do all that time ago when i first posted this question wondering if it was NTSC that i was getting... we now know it is only NTSC.
http://www.lavproduc...ics/misc/L4.JPG

CineTape

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Opal

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Willys Widgets