#1 Valentina Caniglia

Valentina Caniglia
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:19 AM

Hi all,

I am supposed to film a Bollywood commercial soon. The director asked me to rent a 35mm with a S35 gate.

I have two questions.

If I shoot with a S35 mm gate what ground glass I can use? Can I use a 1.85 marked ground glass?

If this commercial ends up in TV why someone would shoot with a S35mm gate?

Sorry for my basic questions but I have never shoot with a S35mm gate.

Thanks

V.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:47 AM

Well, if the film is only for telecine transfer, then why NOT use the whole width of the negative rather than set aside room for a soundtrack that is not needed? Most 35mm shot for TV is Super-35 (i.e. Full Aperture).

Full Aperture can be 4-perf or 3-perf. The 4-perf Full Aperture frame is 1.33 : 1 and the 3-perf Full Aperture frame is 1.78 : 1. You can use any groundglass you want with either to compose for 1.85, 2.35, 16x9 (1.78), etc. Shoot a framing chart for your colorist.

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:05 AM

Shoot a framing chart for your colorist.

Hi,

Very Important if your not at the transfer.

Some older cameras such as Arri II and Arri III, the viewfinder does not cover S35 area. If the lense is re-centered, some (zeiss) lenses will hit the mirror.

Stephen

#4 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:04 PM

A lot of commercials shoot BIG TV, which I believe is 4 perf full aperture. Someone please correct me if I've got this wrong. I don't do many commercials these days, but I remember a few years back BIG TV was the standard for most commercials.

#5 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 05 November 2005 - 10:03 PM

Howdy- The 35 spots I shoot are all 4-perf super-35, we shoot 4:3 square-o-vision, but you can get a GG marked for any framing you like. There's really no good reason I can find not to shoot S-35 for TV spots, you get a bigger image area on the film.

A few older zooms may not cover the full image area, (someone mentioned the cooke 20-100 awhile back if i remember right) something easy to check during prep.

#6 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 05 November 2005 - 10:16 PM

N35 is useless unless you're contact printing for a relealse print - why throw resolution away?

#7 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:32 AM

A few older zooms may not cover the full image area, (someone mentioned the cooke 20-100 awhile back if i remember right) something easy to check during prep.

Hi,

If you look at the spec of today's zooms for Cooke & Arg., they only cover Acadamy 35, but in reality most cover S35 for 1:185 extraction.

Stephen

#8 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 06 November 2005 - 11:31 AM

I suppose also you might be concerned about chromatic aberrations and softness at the edges and corners of your S35 frame with lenses designed only for academy coverage, especially for big-screen work.

Stephen, was it one of your cooke zooms that you said didn't quite cover S35?

#9 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:02 PM

I suppose also you might be concerned about chromatic aberrations and softness at the edges and corners of your S35 frame with lenses designed only for academy coverage, especially for big-screen work.

Stephen, was it one of your cooke zooms that you said didn't quite cover S35?

Hi,

My Mitchell 35R3 is centered for acadamy, so I can't be sure. I did look at the spec of all current 35mm zooms, and not 1 covers, if you read the figures from the manufactures.
I know zooms are used all the time in S35 feature work so most do cover S35 1:185. I know series II/III cookes don't fully cover S35 acadamy but are fine S35 1:1.85 . Its a grey area.

A question was asked on CML about zooms 10 days ago, I mentioned about Cooke and Arg. not covering S35 acadamy. Nobody challanged my wisdom! Cooke is a sponser of CML, so I think you need to test!
As I have so much equipment, my local rental house is not very friendly, otherwise I would just pop in and try!

Stephen

#10 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:49 AM

(someone mentioned the cooke 20-100 awhile back if i remember right) something easy to check during prep.

Hi,

I've just had a look at my 20-100 Cooke. If I take off the front plate that says Taylor-Hobson Cooke Varatol 20-100 I am sure that it would be fine for S35 1:185.
Even without re centering the lens for S35 I only get the slightest vignetting on the left top and bottom of frame.

The Cooke 20-60 is the same!

Stephen

Edited by Stephen Williams, 07 November 2005 - 03:49 AM.

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc