6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:24 AM

I just watched Serendipity (2001, w/ John Cusack and Kate Beckensale) and I noticed the lens flares had a very attractive rainbow around the edges of the lens flares. What series of lenses might that have been? I don't really know what equipment it was shot with, so it's perhaps not much of a start.

Thanks, anyone who can give this question a shot!

-Chris

#2 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:47 AM

I have not seen the film in question, but if you are referring to rainbow flares from hot sources (like lamps or car headlights), that would be because of nets on the lens. You can see this is in 'Catch me if you Can' all the time.

#3 Jozo Zovko

Jozo Zovko

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Other
  • Venice, CA

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:37 AM

Hello -
I just finished a shoot where we had an occurrence of "the rainbow flairies" - just a happy accident though - it was the sun shining through thick trees - falling across a car windshield - then bouncing up into our Ziess super speeds - shooting at the end of the day - the lens was around a T2 / T2.8 ??? - the lens was probably a 50mm - the rainbow flair was in a corner and was about 10* degrees worth of the outside of a circle - and of course - our flair was not of the net flair family you see in some films - just your average everyday run of the mill cute little optical anomaly

Have a nice day,
Joe

<<<I noticed the lens flares had a very attractive rainbow around the edges of the lens flares. What series of lenses might that have been?>>>

-Chris

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:39 PM

Hello -
I just finished a shoot where we had an occurrence of "the rainbow flairies" - just a happy accident though - it was the sun shining through thick trees - falling across a car windshield - then bouncing up into our Ziess super speeds - shooting at the end of the day - the lens was around a T2 / T2.8 ??? - the lens was probably a 50mm - the rainbow flair was in a corner and was about 10* degrees worth of the outside of a circle - and of course - our flair was not of the net flair family you see in some films - just your average everyday run of the mill cute little optical anomaly

Have a nice day,
Joe

<<<I noticed the lens flares had a very attractive rainbow around the edges of the lens flares. What series of lenses might that have been?>>>

-Chris

It sounds like the trees may have acted optically like the net does for the purpose of creating that flare...? That's a pretty interesting situation. Thanks, guys!

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:53 PM

90% of the time, a rainbow flare is the result of net diffusion, but sometimes a regular lens can create that effect -- I remember in "Alien" a wonderful rainbow flare on the left side of frame in the scenes where Yaphet Kotto & Veronica Cartright are carrying those 1K's open-faced lamps as flashlights and gathering cannisters for the escape. I'm guessing a C-Series anamorphic prime lens of some sort.

#6 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:05 PM

OpTex's 5.5mm 16mm lens is also notorious for creating rainbow flares whener it's hit with edge-of-frame lights.

Edited by AdamFrisch, 07 November 2005 - 05:05 PM.

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:37 PM

I remember some of those flares in that wide-angle dolly move in the record store in "Clockwork Orange", a 9.8mm Kinoptic I believe.

Edited by David Mullen, 07 November 2005 - 07:37 PM.

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Technodolly

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Tai Audio

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post