James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:32 PM

Hi,

Could someone please clear this up for me in lamens terms.

I'm shooting super 16 and this is is getting slightly confusing.
Say i'm rating my film at 200asa, 25fps with a 180deg shutter and stopped at 5.6.
When i rate my film now at 500 does that then need to change anything but the stop (if so how many stops, 2?), or do i need to then change the shutter to 90 as well. Also if i change the shutter do i then lose a stop. ect.....Or if i rate the stock less do i gain stops??

This whole thing has got me a little muddled and would be great if you could help me understand.

Thanks, James.

Note* Sorry for posting twice it was a computer problem

Edited by James Brown, 04 November 2005 - 10:35 PM.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:49 PM

Each stop is the equivalent of cutting the exposure by half or doubling it, depending on the direction. ASA ratings and shutter speeds & angles also work on the principle of doubling or halving -- i.e. 500 ASA is twice as fast as 250 ASA, so if you switched from 250 ASA film to 500 ASA film (one stop more sensitive), and had the same light level, and wanted the same exposure, you'd have to:

Close down the iris (f-stop) by one stop to compensate.
Or close down the shutter angle by half (thus cutting the exposure time per frame by half).
Or double the frame rate (thus cutting the exposure time per frame by half).
Or put an ND.30 filter on the lens.
Or cut the number of footcandles in the lighting down by half.
Or pull-process the 500 ASA film by one stop.

Any single one of those techniques would lose one stop of light (i.e. half the light.) You only need to do one of these things. If you did two of these things, you'd lose two stops of light, right?

Most light meters are programmable in 1/3 stop increments, something like (in ASA / ISO / EI values):
6, 8, 10, 12, 16, 20, 25, 32, 40, 50, 64, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 320, 400, 500, 640, 800, 1000

So if you switched from a 200 ASA stock to a 500 ASA stock, you'd compensate by 1 1/3 stops. If you rated a 500 ASA stock at 320 ASA, you're overexposing it by 2/3's of a stop. If you put an 85B filter on a camera with 500 ASA film, since the filter loses 2/3's of a stop, you'd set your meter to 320 ASA to compensate for the filter light loss.

If you rate a film stock slower in speed (less sensitive) than recommended, you'd probably be opening up the iris to compensate (shooting at wider apertures). So assuming the light level is the same, and you decide to rate a 500 ASA stock at 250 ASA instead, you'd probably be shooting one stop more open than if you used the 500 ASA rating. So if at 500 ASA, you were at f/4, by changing to 250 ASA, you'd be at f/2.8.

Edited by David Mullen, 04 November 2005 - 11:50 PM.

#3 James Brown

James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:59 AM

AHA,

Where i was confused is thinking you had to do MORE then one of these things to compensate. But now it makes perfect sense.

As always you have a way of putting info into it's most simplistic form.

Thanks David.

James.

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Opal

Technodolly

Abel Cine