Which camera?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 London

London
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2005 - 02:14 PM

If you had to shoot an entire movie with one 35mm camera and 2 lenses only...what camera and lenses would you choose if your budget was (£3500) -- I'd buy mics and lights with a separate budget.

Thanks all! ;)

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 05 November 2005 - 02:31 PM

If you had to shoot an entire movie with one 35mm camera and 2 lenses only...what camera and lenses would you choose if your budget was (£3500) -- I'd buy mics and lights with a separate budget.

Thanks all! ;)

Hi,

If you want to buy for that price its difficult but not impossible. I recently bought a Ultracam 35 with 5 lenses for about £4000.

Without knowing the story, and the locations it's a difficult call on what 2 lensed but I guess a 25mm + 35mm.

Stephen

#3 London

London
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2005 - 04:08 PM

Great to know that it is possible to buy a 35mm sync-sound camera at that price (with lenses)! Do you know where I'd buy one Stephen?

The story is, I did a walk in all of the continents for many years and (unfortunately) filmed it on mini DV.

I was hoping to now make a film, whereas I would film the present day on 35 mm film and whereas the DV would act as the 'flashbacks'.

Some events difficult to get in the moment would be reconstructed, but probably on DV.

I'd need lenses for;-
- Close-up outdoor dialogue between 2 people.
- the obvious wide shots.
- very little indoor.
- Mostly natural light PLUS a daylight fill-in light.
- very little filming at night, except one scene where the snow is falling on my face (countryside at night)
and where I'd want to shoot the snowflakes in detail.

Locations would be city in day time, countryside at night, snowstorm in evening and jungle.

One take would be slow-motion.

Something like that.

Thanks for your advice!

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:17 AM

Great to know that it is possible to buy a 35mm sync-sound camera at that price (with lenses)! Do you know where I'd buy one Stephen?

Hi,

I've got 2 of the 15 ever made. In the last 2 years 5 have been sold to my knowledge , 4 of which were on Ebay, 1 on CML. I bought 2 of the 5!

Keep your eyes open, On both occasions the sellers said they could not be insulted by low offers! Nobody seemed to be interested and the sellers wanted to sell. Remember they are 25 years old and repairs could be an issue, I piched up 2 cases of parts with the first one.

Stephen

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc