#1 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1735 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:40 PM

Is anyone else predicting what I am? That a lot of major studio's are gonna be going home happy this winter? disney has "The Chronicles of Narnia", one of the most expensive movies ever made, and trying to compete with Lord of the Rings. Warner has "Harry Potter" Which is probly the most "looked forewardtoo" movie yet. Then Universal Has "King Kong", from the Director of the Lord of the Rings, so we know this will be an epic picture.

Which one will come out on top? I think It's anyones guess.

Hell, with all these good movies around the corner, I think I'll be going home happy too. This is the way movies should be, where both sides will go home happy.

#2 Jonathan Spear

Jonathan Spear
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:35 PM

Agreed. I can't wait to see the Chronicles of Narnia.

#3 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:50 PM

It's a bit early to call these 'good' movies, isn't it?

I do not plan to go watch any of them. I've never seen one of the Potters, as far as I'm concerned these are movies without a soul, manufactured to cash in on the whole Potter hype. And as for Narnia, I do avoid Christian propaganda movies like the plague. But I'm sure in the middle of America this is just what the doctor ordered.

#4 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:54 PM

Picked up my new FCP system today and they were showing the trailer from Terrence Malick's new film,
The New World":

http://www.apple.com...e_new_world/hd/

Due to come out Christmas day. Sweet looking.

#5 Jonathan Spear

Jonathan Spear
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:05 PM

"I've never seen one of the Potters, as far as I'm concerned these are movies without a soul, manufactured to cash in on the whole Potter hype"

The first two films were sort of like that. The Prisoner of Azkebhan was more intense. Less childish.
Who knows... the next Potter film might be really cool.

#6 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:47 PM

Let's not forget that Mike Newell directed it.

As for "The New Worl", I can't wait to see that, Terrence Malick is one of the few true artists making movies in Hollywood.

#7 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:19 PM

It's a bit early to call these 'good' movies, isn't it?

I do not plan to go watch any of them. I've never seen one of the Potters, as far as I'm concerned these are movies without a soul, manufactured to cash in on the whole Potter hype. And as for Narnia, I do avoid Christian propaganda movies like the plague. But I'm sure in the middle of America this is just what the doctor ordered.

I'm looking forward to the new "King Kong" quite a bit. Peter Jackson has earned a ticket sold to me for the rest of his career. I also agree (with TSM) that the third "Harry Potter" was far superior to the first two. Since I have a 7 y.o. Harry Potter freak in the house there's little chance I'll miss seeing the new one, not that I'd want to miss it since I quite liked "Prisoner of Azkaban".

As for the "Chronicles of Narnia", I've no doubt that I'll be going to that as well and can blame it on the kid.
I'll happily take him because he'll most likely want to read the books afterward. Whatever it takes to keep him interested in reading.

That's just one of the great things about having offspring. I can go to all the kids movies and if they suck, I can say the kid made me take him... like "Sharkboy and Lavagirl".

Have you lost the boy inside, Max?

#8 Mark T. Ingham

Mark T. Ingham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 23 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:02 PM

I agree; this may be a boom season once again for the theaters. I haven't been excited like this over a range of upcoming films in a long time. I'm most anxious for Malick's latest, and "Munich."

Audiris: You don't like Mike Newell films? One of his I really like (and hope they release on DVD eventually) is "Enchanted April." I'm also really fond of "Donnie Brasco." Those are a couple Newell titles that may change your mind if you haven't seen them yet.

#9 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:11 PM

I just have more refined taste, silly buttonpushing blockbusters don't do it for me anymore. It's always the same superficial sheme, it's so boring.

#10 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:23 PM

The Box Office is irreparable, I think. It's never going to get back to the heydays of the 40's and early 90's. I don't think we will ever see a Titanic clean-up again. What's to fault for that I don't know, but shitty, blatantly commercial and greedy producers have something to do with it. Last I heard they're re-doing The Wild Bunch, you know? What's next - The Godfather?

Narnia leaves me absolutely stone cold (can you say bad 3D?). King Kong, maybe, but I'm not dying to see it. Haven't seen the Potter's. I agree with Max - The New World seems the most exiting. I did like the trailer for Munich, although I didn't think I would.

Speaking of re-doing. Heard talk about a re-make of Ice Station Zebra. Now, that's a good idea - the film wasn't very good to begin with, but still a fun romp. Even a re-make of Where Eagles Dare I'm all for. But just leave the classics alone - you can't redo The Wild Bunch or the The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. It just doesn't work.

As a personal side note - I hope they bring back the old Alistair MacLean adventure pic's of the 60's - love the genre: they provided criminal amounts of suspense, snazzy double-crosses and bravura acting. They'd fit nicely in these times. Or the political paranoia thrillers of the 70's.

#11 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

I just have more refined taste, silly buttonpushing blockbusters don't do it for me anymore. It's always the same superficial sheme, it's so boring.

"Syriana" is the film I'm currently most looking forward to in addition to "The New World". Section Eight- Clooney and Steven Soderbergs company are looking like the new Miramax. Taking chances on interesting new ideas (Well, OK, maybe not "Oceans 11, 12, etc.). Who'd have thunk George Clooney would turn out to be an auteur?

#12 Christian Appelt

Christian Appelt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:58 PM

I saw ICE STATION ZEBRA some time ago in a moderatly faded 70mm print andĀ“found it to be quite entertaining. The fake snowscape in the final reel is a bit detracting, terrible snowstorms up front with painted cyclorama clouds that never ever move - but I enjoyed a great cast and the typical John Sturges/Daniel L. Fapp techno-cinematography in glorious Super Panavision.. B)

As for remakes of old movies - do we really need a remake of THE PINK PANTHER with Steve Martin? :wacko:

#13 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:05 PM

I'll second the votes for "The New World" and "Syriana". That blockbuster crap does nothing for me. I'd prefer to have my brain turned on as oppossed to having it turned off. "Walk the Line" looks great too. Of course I'm a big Johnny Cash fan, so I'm biased.

#14 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:10 PM

It's been a very long time since I equated how big the budget was, to how good I thought the movie was going to be.
There have been just too many films prove that equation wrong (Waterworld, The Postman, Planet of the Apes remake, any of the Batman movies, etc.)

I'm not excited about any of those big expensive movies. I'm not biased against big budget studio movies, but I don't assume they're going to be good because they cost a bunch of cash, and I NEVER am excited about sequels and remakes.
I'm not sure why Peter Jackson even wants to do King Kong (OK, the $10 million dollars probably has something to do with it).
How many times are they going to remake that movie?
All I'm gonna hear positive about that movie is, "wow, the ape looked real!".
Uh, OK.

I saw the first Harry Potter movie, and was bored stiff.
I thought "I must just not be getting this", so I bought the book and read it.
Dreadful tripe, really. Even worse than the film was. I can't believe anyone over 9 likes this, but hey, I still like the Three Stooges, so what can I say?

MP

#15 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:50 PM

I can't believe anyone over 9 likes this, but hey, I still like the Three Stooges, so what can I say?
MP

Heh heck yeah. Nobody can top the Stooges, man. Nobody.

Edited by David Sweetman, 16 November 2005 - 10:51 PM.

#16 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1735 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 26 November 2005 - 01:16 AM

Harry Potter 4, now Released, has proven my theroy. Not only is it the best HP yet, but at $102 million opening weekend (The Theater I work at did $143,000.00 in sales just on this movie from Friday till sunday). I have no doubt that Narnia will be great, not just because of the budget, but also because the books where great, and everyone behind the film is great. I am less excited about Kong, I have never seen the original, or any kong movie for that matter, but I'm sure it will be a great movie also, coming from Peter Jackson.

I had totally Spaced out "The New World" (Thought it was not due out till next summer?!?!?)... Ohh well, from the previews I have seen, it looks like it could be great too.

Let's not forget that Mike Newell directed it.

Whats that suppose to mean? I think he did a great job. The Film Appeals to a more broad and older audiance than Columbus' version did, and it was even better than POA, while darker, still held the Childish theme.

There is very little in HP 4 that is childish. In fact, I would not take anyone under 12 to see the film. Not only do several on screen deaths occure, but it also has a MUCH darker theme than the first 3. If you ask me, from the Ball, to the Epic "World Cup" Scene, this movie was more along the lines of a Romantic comedy meets Tim Burton meets Lord of the Rings.

I also think the score for this film outbid the Fantasy childlike score by John Williams. MUCH darker music, more like something from a tim burton movie than Harry Potter.

As a side note: To the person who says that "I have not seen a Harry potter movie, and dont want to": Why not? How can you know a film is bad unless you see it? Thats just crazy when people go off saying "From the trailer I seen, I know the film will suck"..... It ekkks me...

Edited by Landon D. Parks, 26 November 2005 - 01:19 AM.

#17 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 November 2005 - 04:37 AM

As a side note: To the person who says that "I have not seen a Harry potter movie, and dont want to": Why not? How can you know a film is bad unless you see it? Thats just crazy when people go off saying "From the trailer I seen, I know the film will suck"..... It ekkks me...

Well that person would be me then. Hello Landon, our resident box office medium!

Let's face it, some films when you see the trailer or even hear about, you know what 'kind' of films they are. It is very obvious to me what kind of film Harry Potter is. A huge money-making enterprise with very little artistic content. These films are designed to cash in on the books, of which I read the first one and didn't think it was any good. And I read it before HP became such a phenomenon. I am just not interested in such soulless films, I'd much rather watch something of more artistic value.

I do not expect you to understand my reasoning, since you are the exact target audience for the whole Potter movies.

I do hope that you will go see 'The New World', since despite it's appearance of a 'Hollywood' film, anyone who is familiar with Terence Malick knows that he makes personal, artistic movies that are very long but also very slow.

#18 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:32 AM

Heh heck yeah. Nobody can top the Stooges, man. Nobody.

Aren't the Farelly Bros doing a Three Stooges movie ?

According to an article about it (in The New Yorker of all places) their pitch to the studio was "Dumb, Dumber, Dumbest" :D

-Sam (same here, re "The New World")

#19 Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2005 - 01:00 PM

Well that person would be me then. Hello Landon, our resident box office medium!

Let's face it, some films when you see the trailer or even hear about, you know what 'kind' of films they are. It is very obvious to me what kind of film Harry Potter is. A huge money-making enterprise with very little artistic content. These films are designed to cash in on the books, of which I read the first one and didn't think it was any good. And I read it before HP became such a phenomenon. I am just not interested in such soulless films, I'd much rather watch something of more artistic value.

Max,

Harry Potter is just a nice pop-corn movie, type of film you might go out and see with your friends. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Artistic films are interesting, but some of them really do have cack story lines. It depends on what you want out of a film.

Harry Potter might be a "money making" film to the investors, but not the people who are making it. It's the same with pretty much all big films. The only reason the people are there making it is because they had a enthusiastic drive to succeed and do the things they wanted to, not because they thought oh let's make some big bucks and go make a movie.

Sure artistic film makers are more daring in that sense, but they'll most likely never become big film makers, very few do.

I've always had the idea of playing by the rules, and when you're in the position, then implement your visions and ideas.

As I've said before. I'm not setting out to make artistic films, I'm setting out to make films where people leave the cinema thining wow what a great film. Films with IMPACT, not films where you have to have an I.Q of 150+ to understand them.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith, 26 November 2005 - 01:02 PM.

#20 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 26 November 2005 - 01:18 PM

Harry Potter might be a "money making" film to the investors, but not the people who are making it. It's the same with pretty much all big films.

Daniel,

I think you will find the crew of Harry Potter and other big budget films are well paid, relative to lower budget productions.

Stephen

CineLab

Glidecam

CineTape

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

The Slider

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Aerial Filmworks