#1 robweinstein

robweinstein

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:30 PM

I read in another post about a DVD collection called the directors label. Well, i took their advice and checked it out. Two words: Not Bad. I was actually impressed to see how many videos that i thought were simply brilliant were all done by the same directors. I'm defenitly planning on buying the Mark Romanek DVD. Anyone else have any comments about this collection?

#2 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 08 November 2005 - 04:33 AM

It's very good. I've also happened to work with the man who made them on a Volvo commercial and he had some nice stories to tell:-)

I don't have them all myself - the Corbijn and Sednaoui ones are less of a must for me personally, but the
Cunningham, Glazer, Romanek and Gondry ones are very good.

#3 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 November 2005 - 05:03 AM

I own most of them, I think the Gondry one is the best, a lot of stuff and he is very open about talking about it as well. The funny thing about the Jonathan Glazer one is that in interviews some of the musicians he made promos for (Nick Cave, one of the guys from Blur) do not seem that fond of his work for themand also pop promos in general. They think that pictures take away from the music and limit your imagination by having to also take in visuals along with the sound.

The Spike Jonze one is definitely the weak link, his work is simply not as special as the others.

#4 robweinstein

robweinstein

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:19 PM

I agree with that to some extent. I really like Spike's work, and I think that he's creative, but that's about it. Heavyweights like Romanek, Glazer, and Gondry create true works of art -- Spike can't touch some of the work each of them has done over the years.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies