8 replies to this topic

#1 Max McAdams

Max McAdams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:35 PM

Hi, I am using the xl2 for the first time and having a series of troubles that I must sort out very quickly. For one, no matter what I seem to do, everything recorded in 24p appears to be choppier than it should, (cars that go by look pixilated and "blocky"). What settings would optimize the perfomance in 24p mode in on averge partly sunny day. My second trouble is a achieving the "film look". Now as we all know, you can only get so close but I can figure out how to soften the image. Film is very sharp in piccture yet soft in tone but no matter what settings I tweek I tend to have a very harsh dv look. What would you suggest to tone this down as much as possible. Id appreciate anyones help as soon as possible.
Thanks
Max

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 November 2005 - 04:17 PM

Hi,

Things being pixelated sounds like a fairly low-level fault. 24p motion will appear slightly stroby in comparison to normal NTSC, particularly when there is fast motion in the frame and particularly during fast camera movement. However, it shouldn't ever start showing blocks or pixelation - that would be a back-to-base fault on the camera.

As for making it look better - well, you just discovered that there's no magic button for it. You can turn off sharpening, perhaps decrease saturation slightly, but really what has most effect is what you put in front of the camera. It's not about the toys and gadgets. Read books, particularly books on still photography. Study the fine art of production design, and learn how to light. Welcome to the next ten years of your life...

Phil

#3 Max McAdams

Max McAdams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:34 PM

I praying that it's not the fault of the camera. I forgot to mention one other visual problem its having. Perhaps it will help clear up my definition of "pixelation". If there are lines on the wal or you are filming a line of dvds stacked in a row or anything of that sort a, strange almost zebra like pattern shows up on their edges. Yes zebra is turned off. Id appreciate any advice.
thanks

Max

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:13 AM

Hi,

Can you post a still of the problem?

Phil

#5 matthew david burton

matthew david burton
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:01 PM

Are you getting the problem in the viewfinder or in captured footage ?
If it's just in the view finder and your shooting in 16:9 then it's just cuz the viewfinder can't handle the rez.
-matt

#6 Max McAdams

Max McAdams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:51 PM

Thanks Matt. I dont know why I didnt think of that.

#7 matthew david burton

matthew david burton
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:39 AM

Thanks Matt. I dont know why I didnt think of that.

It took me a little time too :D

Try using an external moniter or failing that a tv will do to preview while you shoot.
-matt

Edited by matthew david burton, 11 November 2005 - 09:41 AM.

#8 David Silverstein

David Silverstein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Student
  • New York City

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:30 PM

Capture some footage and put it up here I would love to see how it looks anyway.

#9 Nathan D. Lee

Nathan D. Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:21 PM

You may already be doing this but one thing that makes video appear very harsh is the blowouts in the highlights, particularly when shooting outdoors. It is a good idea to keep an ND filter or two on hand, beyond the cameras built in filters, so as to keep you shot in the lenses f-stop range. The internal electronics will deal much more naturally with the image that way. Also a polarizer can help take away a lot of glare that video does not do so well with.
Just some tips on the "harshness" of the image.
Nathan

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Opal

Tai Audio