#1 Tim Snider

Tim Snider

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:19 PM

I just got my new 900 up and running and am doing some test shooting. I set up the camera in 16:9, 24P, Interlaced mode using Filmlike 2 gamma. I imported the footage into Final Cut Pro using DV50 NTSC Anamorphic and through it on a DV50 timeline. In the wide shots (and increasingly I'm thinking where this a lot of contrast) there is a lot of noise. It almost looks like the camera is trying to overuse detail enhancement. I have made sure there is no additional gain specified on the H/M/L gain switch. I remember cycling through the menus and seeing detail enhancement features, but I didn't think I changed them. (Maybe I did.)

Has anyone run into grainy or noisy footage and figured out why?

(P.S. I would simply look at the footage on the tape from the SD93 deck, however I don't have my analog board yet to give me a component signal, so I'm monitoring via YUV through my DSR-1500A deck.)

Thanks.

#2 John Ealer

John Ealer
  • Sustaining Members
  • 187 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:16 AM

Most likely you've got the V.RES set to PROGRESSIVE (in the SYSTEM MODE menu) when it should be set to INTERLACE. Remember, the V.RES setting does not affect the sampling/scan mode of the camera, it just turns on (INTERLACE) or off (PROGRESSIVE) a low-pass vertical resolution filter. This filter is generally necessary when shooting in 24P or 30P mode for a NTSC finish, since there's actually too much vertical info in a 24P or 30P frame for NTSC, and the excess vertical information is translated into moire / noise patterns.

Otherwise, you might just have the detail cranked up too high. Depending on the lens you're using and the look you're going for, I would generally recommend somewhere between +1 to +8. With good HD glass, you can even turn the detail off.

J

#3 Tim Snider

Tim Snider

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:39 PM

Otherwise, you might just have the detail cranked up too high. Depending on the lens you're using and the look you're going for, I would generally recommend somewhere between +1 to +8. With good HD glass, you can even turn the detail off.
J

Thanks for the reply. Good info. I did read up on the V. RES setting and checked the camera. It was in INTERLACE mode.

As for detail enhancement, that may be my problem. I'm using a Canon J17ex7.7 BIRSD lens. What kind of detail enhancement settings would you recommend. There's MASTER DTL, H. DTL LEVEL, V. DTL LEVEL and several others. I've got Goodman's Guide for the SDX-900 so I'm reading over it now.

The alarming thing was that I hadn't gotten into any of those settings and was using whatever settings the camera shipped with and saw a lot of noise. So I guess it's possible that the defaults are noisy in certain situations?

T

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

CineTape

Opal

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets