#1 David Rush

David Rush

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:59 AM

Please forgive my amateur questions but I don't know where else to turn for advice.

Will my 20+ year old Sankyo em-30XL Super 8 camera have any problem with today's newer film? Will my camera's automatic light meter correctly determine the exposure settings for the asa of the film?

I gather there are notches on the cartridge that tells the camera the ASA of the film. Is it true that most XL cameras were made to only recognize ASA 40 and 160 speed notch and my camera will think it is one of those?

If so, will KODAK EKTACHROME 64T Color Reversal Film 7280 which I see on the Kodak website work for me? Will my camera know to treat it as 40 ASA?

I also see the TriX which says Tungsten (3200K) - 160 Daylight - 200. Which I take to mean 160 ASA is an option so would this work?

Or is there a way to tell which exposure my camera is expecting and have a lab process it differently?

Thanks for any help.

#2 Maulubekotofa

Maulubekotofa
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:33 AM

Please forgive my amateur questions but I don't know where else to turn for advice.

Will my 20+ year old Sankyo em-30XL Super 8 camera have any problem with today's newer film? Will my camera's automatic light meter correctly determine the exposure settings for the asa of the film?

I gather there are notches on the cartridge that tells the camera the ASA of the film. Is it true that most XL cameras were made to only recognize ASA 40 and 160 speed notch and my camera will think it is one of those?

If so, will KODAK EKTACHROME 64T Color Reversal Film 7280 which I see on the Kodak website work for me? Will my camera know to treat it as 40 ASA?

I also see the TriX which says Tungsten (3200K) - 160 Daylight - 200. Which I take to mean 160 ASA is an option so would this work?

Or is there a way to tell which exposure my camera is expecting and have a lab process it differently?

Thanks for any help.

I saw this sight in abnother forum about 8mm cameras. it may help you some.

http://www.filmshoot...pic.php?t=11786

#3 Richard Tuohy

Richard Tuohy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Daylesford, Australia

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:13 AM

I don't know this particular camer, but in all likelyhood, yes, your camera will not automatically read the asa of film stocks other than 40 and 160 asa films. It may be that this camera has an exposure compensation dial such that you could offset the automatic light meter by 2/3 of a stop to expose t64 correctly. More to the point, however, your camera is old and light meters don't last forever. Your internal meter may not be any good anyway - even for kodachrome 40. Alternatively, your meter may just be off the right amount for t64 (I have a camera like this!). But really, the best thing is to use an external light meter that you know works, and have calibrated to this camera. Provided your camera works o.k. otherwise, there would be nothing wrong with using it for super8. And if you forget about the internal light meter, there is a whole world of stocks to choose from at Pro8mm and Kahl film (not to mention Kodak, but Kodak cartridges are notched correctly anyway). First off, you need to shoot a test roll. Enjoy!

#4 David Rush

David Rush

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the input.

For the record I found this site that pretty much addresses my question.
With the title of the page of..
Super 8 EKTACHROME 64T motion picture film exposed in old cameras

http://super8wiki.co..._in_old_cameras

Fortunately my camera does have a manualy override for the fstop.

Now I just have to find some film.

Thanks

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Technodolly

The Slider