#1 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:10 AM

OK,
We took the boy to a sneak preview of Zathura and I was shocked.. SHOCKED! by how crappy this film looked. From the opening scene I was thinking, 'they're shooting this with a Canon Scoopic and rolls of old Kodachrome'.

I just figured it was for some sort of sentimental home movie effect, but then they moved inside the house
and the lighting was... incompetent. I can't think of a nice way to sugar coat it. It was horrendous. And they stuck with the 8mm look.

The house was beautiful- the exterior was not a Pasadena Greene and Greene (may have been a Pasadena Craftsman-just not a G&G) but the interior sets were obviously exact G&G copies. They did a terrible job lighting the interior. All that dark stained wood trim just ate up the light. I can't get over it.

A couple of scenes- and these were supposed to be in outer space and all the lights off- were so dark, you could not see what was going on at all. And it was unnecessary because the reason that they turned off all the lights was totally inconsequential.

In spite of all that- which my 7 y.o. couldn't care less about- it was a fairly fun kids movie. The boy liked it.
And I won the Zathura game (the radio station who sponsors the sneak preview did a trivia giveaway before hand) while mom and boy were out getting popcorn so I was hero for the rest of the night.

So in the end, I guess I'd recommend taking the kids to see it, but film pros are going to be very distracted
by the technical issues.

#2 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:29 PM

I wonder if it was even shot on film.
Anyone here know?

MP

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:57 PM

I saw a few minutes of it and it was definitely film; it had a somewhat grainy texture.

Besides, I don't think DP Guillermo Navarro is much of a fan of digital shooting...

I mean, it could have been digital and given some fake grain but I doubt it.

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Opal

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC